We are planning to move to an existing 2 node Win2000sp4, SQL2000sp3 to new hardware with a fresh install of Win2003sp1 2 node cluster and reluctantly forced to still use SQL2000. We are trying not to push/update all the workstation to the new virtual name. We might have to use the current virtual name, from what I have read this would be harder.
Assuming the Win03 clustering is working.
- Install SQL virtual with new name with same drive letters for system database of the old system. Apply sp3
- Stop SQL on the new and old systems, move the old drives to the new system.
- Drop/Add server name in SQL (provide it starts, I have done this with non-cluster) This step spooks me, since apparently there is entries about the physical nodes in master.
- Add a DNS alias of the old virtual pointing to the new sql virtual. (Read this should work, not tested)
- Install SQL virtual with new name, apply sp3
- Detach/attach user db’s
- Transfer logins
- Add DNS alias
Is there one?