Cancelled Query - PC now runs like a dog!

Last Post 15 Apr 2002 08:01 AM by Irish. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Irish

--
15 Apr 2002 07:52 AM
I've got SQL-SERVER 2000 on a stand-alone 1.4Ghz desktop. When I cancel a query, the whole PC performs like a Commodore 64! Why is this? I end up having to re-boot the PC to allow me to gain some sort of respectable performance levels.

Should this happen?

Thanks,
David.
Irish

--
15 Apr 2002 08:01 AM
What I've found is that last week, my whole process took 4hrs (which is great, for when I ran the same code within a SYBASE environment it took 17hrs!), but now I'm finding it takes 17hrs just for a single command! Nothing has changed in the code - it's as if the optimizer is having a bad day!

So to try and discern what's going on within the optimizer, I'm trying different things. If a change doesn't 'look' to be working, I cancel the query and try something else. Because the PC seems to slow right down when I cancel - it all gets very frustrating!

Is this useful?

Thanks,
David.
Irish

--
16 Apr 2002 12:42 AM
The code that seems to now take forever is...

update DL_0255_Issue
set DL_0255_Issue.Value = DL_0255_CIssue.Value * SLAVE.Discount
from DL_0255_Issue join DL_0255_Products SLAVE
on DL_0255_Issue.Product = SLAVE.Product
where DL_0255_Issue.Account = 'V'

The table DL_0255_Issue (with approx. 17.3 million rows) has a non-clustered index on Product and Account.
The table DL_0255_Products (with 352 rows) has a non-clustered index on Product.

According to the manual this should only take a few moments, and it used to, but not any more!

Can you help?

Thanks,
David.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy