removing distribution reference without deleting distribution database

Last Post 10 May 2004 06:03 AM by bigelectricmac. 6 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bigelectricmac

--
05 May 2004 08:36 AM

Wish i didnt have to move this database

I have a transactional/ Push subscription. Publisher is on one server. Distributor/subscriber on another.

I right click on Replication on Publisher database and it gives me a pop-up with the name of the distributor,subscriber . ALL is fine so far.

Is there anyway to drop the Publisher's reference to this Distributor WITHOUT actually deleting/removing the distributor database with sp_dropdistributor/sp_dropdistributiondb ? beause I want the Publisher to reference a new distributor.
bigelectricmac

--
05 May 2004 08:56 AM

Sorry, you mean do :sp_dropdistributor/sp_dropdistributiondb and reconfigure? Or is there another command to "remove" the distribution reference?
bigelectricmac

--
05 May 2004 09:13 AM
reconfigure replication on publisher. ....

I add a new publication to the Publisher, then do Push subsription...But still have the old distributor listed there and not the new one.

This publisher has the Distributor set for it, no matter what, it's pointing to this one lousy distributor... That's why I thought I HAVE to delete the distributor all together which i really dont want to do...

Still now sure what u mean..
bigelectricmac

--
05 May 2004 09:23 AM
BOL has this:

To add a distribution database, click the Distributor tab, click New, and then enter a database name and the location for the database and log files.

But I click on Distribution tab and i dont see "New" on it. I see password box but nothing "New"...
bigelectricmac

--
05 May 2004 10:15 AM

ahhh... I'm so stupid...now I get it...I'll try that first and see if I can reconfigure and point to the new distribution server.

I'm sure I will post again
bigelectricmac

--
06 May 2004 06:01 AM

Ok, been reading a lot about this... Not clear about one thing when reconfiguring replication on Publisher...

drop all subscriptions,
drop publications/articles

I think at this point, if i right click on Replication on Publisher database, I think I will STILL see the distributor set as the Old Distributor.. I think the only way to stop this Publisher pointing to the old Distribution is to delete it all togehter...

I dont have a test database to test this, my one shot is on the production database...

Am I correct or missing something? Just want to make sure before i embark on this..
bigelectricmac

--
10 May 2004 06:03 AM

rm-

you ARE absolutely W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L

I disconntected the replication as u said and reconnected..Life couldnt be better

THANKS SOOOOO MUCH for your help.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy