Alphabetic sorting

Last Post 07 May 2004 04:06 AM by csnrog. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
csnrog

--
02 May 2004 12:35 PM
Hi,
I'm using english sql2k/olap2k both with sp3a. The sql2k server and all db:s collation are Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS, the default language for user as well as my own language is set to Swedish. The regional serversettings, w2k, are also set to Swedish. In the properties for the olap data source the locale is 1053 (that number is for Swedish/Finnish).

I have a table with cityname column (char) and citycode column (smallint) and when I create a dimension and process it the citynames are sorted in correct Swedish alphabetical order i.e. the swedish letter Ö is sorted last in the list.

When I use this dimension in a cube (citycode in dimension related to citycode column in cubes fact table) and process the cube the citynames are no longer in swedish alphabetical order i.e. swedish letter Ö is sorted after letter O. Furthermore when I look in the dimension itself the sorting has changed to the wrong one as in the cube.

I am aware of possibility to use a third column in the dimension table for sorting purpose (as member property) but why should I have to do so? All documentation that I could find states that my configuration automatically should sort in correct alphabetical order and so says also Michael Kaplan in his document 'International Features in Microsoft SQl Server 2000'.

Any idea anybody?

kblock

--
05 May 2004 03:30 AM
It is possible that sort order is disrupted if you have hierarchy levels in the dimension.
In this case sort order is valid within the hierarchy level.
Chek your sort order at the lowest hierarchy level first.

csnrog

--
05 May 2004 05:35 AM
Thanks, but it's just a simple dimension with all citynames at highest level and citycode at the lowest.

Furthermore I found that on a Swedish version of w2k server with english sql/olap all sorting is done correctly. The problem arises on a English version of w2k server and even though the regional settings on this server are set to Swedish obviously it's not enough.

csnrog

--
07 May 2004 04:06 AM
Here is the solution to this thread - I discovered in Computer Management->System Summary that Locale was shown as United States and after changing it to Sweden (Control Panel->Regional Settings->General->Set Default) everything that concerns alphabetically sorting in Swedish works perfectly.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy