Reports inaccessible from the Internet

Last Post 03 Nov 2004 04:03 AM by Janetb99. 25 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
jlimmer

--
21 Oct 2004 10:24 AM
Reporting Services accessed on my Intranet runs perfectly. While most of my reports are designed as email-delivery ("push") subscriptions, I do have some critical "pull" reports that are designed to require report parameters and cannot be subscribed to.

Authenticated firewall users can successfully access the home page of the report server and can maneuver between the different folders, can look at "My Subscriptions" etc.

The problem is that they cannot actually run any reports. The report starts to run (showing the "working" image) and then immediately displays "Page cannot be displayed". I think I saw a quick status message about a DNS error.

Why can the remote user get to the website and then not see the reports?

All I can think of is that there is some non-port 80 protocol stuff going on that the firewall is disallowing but I've not seen any information that sheds any light on this problem.

The server's Application event log shows that the ReportServer service was activated. No other system events of interest and certainly no errors.

Each RS log (ReportServerWebApp, ReportServer, etc) showed the same (no errors). The only thing I noticed in the logs is the logs' header sections indicated <SystemName>MyServer</SystemName>. Should this be set a FQDN? Can this be the problem since the user is outside the firewall and doesn't know the simple server's name. If so, where/how does this get modified?

During the time I was trying to run one of the reports, the ReportServer log showed

i INFO: Call to GetSystemPermissions
i INFO: Call to GetPermissions:/
i INFO: Call to GetPermissions:/Financials
i INFO: Call to GetPermissions:/Financials/Brand Summary
i INFO: Cleaned 0 batch records, 0 policies, 0 sessions, 0 cache entries, 0 snapshots, 0 chunks, 0 running jobs
i INFO: Cleaned 0 batch records, 0 policies, 0 sessions, 0 cache entries, 0 snapshots, 0 chunks, 0 running jobs
i INFO: Reporting Web Server stopped

This all looks normal though I didn't get the report.

Thanks.

Jon
xfonhe

--
01 Nov 2004 09:46 AM
If you are receiving DNS errors, my guess is your hunch regarding the FQDN of the server is correct. This setting can be modified in the RSReportServer.config file: <UrlRoot>http://servername/ReportServer</UrlRoot>
jlimmer

--
01 Nov 2004 10:00 AM
Hi,

The <UrlRoot> entry is correctly formatted.

Since this earlier post, I've gotten further along and the problem is not what I initially suspected.

My users need to access reports via the Report Manager interface from both our Intranet and from outside our firewall. My system was already correctly setup for my Intranet users.

Microsoft's documentation (in the Enterprise Deployment Model section) indicates that adding an <ReportServerExternalUrl> entry in RSWebApplication.config is designed to allow this. Without this entry, my Internet users got to the Report Manager service, but then got "Page could not be displayed" when they actually tried to run the report. I added this extra tag in the config file and the external users were then able to successfully run reports.

The problem is that this is now preventing the Intranet users from running reports. Instead, they now get the "Page cannot be displayed" error message. If I again remove the <ReportServerExternalUrl> tag, the Intranet users are fine and Internet users are prevented from running reports. It seems as if I can get either Internet or Intranet users to run, but not both.

Microsoft's documentation had indicated that the two entries could co-exist and function fine. What am I overlooking?

BTW, the documentation shows <ReportServerExternalURL> (note the capitalization). This resulted in an web error stating that this was an invalid tag. I believe the documentation is wrong. Note that the standard <ReportServerUrl> entry in this config file ends with "Url". When I used <ReportServerExternalUrl>, external access worked.

Thanks.
xfonhe

--
01 Nov 2004 10:30 AM
Is the <ReportServerExternalUrl> URL the same value as the <ReportServerUrl> in the RSWebApplication.config?
jlimmer

--
01 Nov 2004 10:34 AM
No.

The <ReportServerUrl> entry is my internal reference to the Report Manager. It is set to "http://server01.na.bulmers.com/ReportServer".

<ReportServerExternalUrl> is a URL that will resolve to this same server for my outside users. It is set to "http://server01.gmbeverage.com/ReportServer".

(The interal entry would not work for those users outside the firewall. That's the whole function that <ReportServerExternalUrl> is supposed to serve.)

Each works correctly when they are alone. I just can't get them to work when both in the config file.

Jon
xfonhe

--
01 Nov 2004 10:54 AM
Just checking

You mentioned that you read that the two values can coexist, however I don't see that in BOL.

FWIW, I did a google search on <ReportServerExternalUrl>; found one thread on another site that may shed some light on the subject (or not...it was pretty vague). Here's the url: http://x220.win2ktest.com/forum/top...824벧
jlimmer

--
01 Nov 2004 11:06 AM
The documentation says

"By default, the configuration file includes ReportServerUrl. "

and in the next paragraph

"To access a report server on the Internet, you must add a
ReportServerExternalURL configuration setting that specifies
the fully qualified domain name of the report server."

I concluded that 1+1 = 2 and that an existing entry plus "adding" another means two co-existing. If they couldn't, I would have thought the documentation would say "replace" or "change".

Peter Blackburn (Hitchhikers Guide to SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services) also indicated on his forum (www.sqlreportingservices.net) that it was to be added and not to remove the original <ReportServerUrl> entry.
xfonhe

--
01 Nov 2004 11:18 AM
True, the article states to add the External element and retain the ServerURL element w/o modifying, however it does not reference whether the addition of the External element overrides the ServerURL element. That would suggest proper co-existence, IMO.

Either way, both URLs point to the same box. If internal hosts are failing to resolve, check your DNS settings... you may need to add a host record for internal traffic.
jlimmer

--
01 Nov 2004 11:46 AM
Well, it seems to me that Microsoft should clear this up. In the final analysis, however, I just want this to WORK!! <g>

Since I own both domain names (zones), I added the second (external) domain along with an A record pointing to the local IP address of the report server. A flush of DNS and a quick test shows that intranet users can now access the report server when the <ReportServerExternalUrl> entry is added.

Problem gone but only using a workaround, IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion. Gotta say, it worked.
xfonhe

--
01 Nov 2004 11:59 AM
Good deal! Also good to note for future reference

My guess is the additional element in the XML config file overrides the ReportServerURL element OR the order in which the elements appear in the document is a factor. I agree with you: I'd like to see Microsoft's take (clarification) on this.

X
Janetb99

--
02 Nov 2004 07:26 AM
Help me out you two gurus. I've had a post along these same lines since the 15th.

I have four websites on one IIS6/Server2003 box. I use one IP address. Reporting Services is installed under the default website.

I too can access the reports using http://servername/ReportServer on my intranet. But, when I try to make the entry for external url (even deleting the url line) in the application config file, I still get 403.8 dns error.

The websites are up and running and working fine so I know the DNS is working for the websites.

I then tried a virtual directory for ReportManager and ReportServices - still get same dns error.

Any help?

Thanks
jlimmer

--
02 Nov 2004 07:57 AM
This DNS error is probably happening for a different reason since a 403.8 is a security/permissions issue ("access denied"). The background info says "This error is caused when the server has a list of DNS names that are not allowed to access the site, and the DNS name you are using is in this list".

Take a look at Microsoft's KB#248032 for hints on what to do.
Janetb99

--
02 Nov 2004 09:56 AM
Interesting, but no cigar. All computers are granted access.

xfonhe

--
02 Nov 2004 10:09 AM
Sounds like an authentication error to me. Try resetting your site security to allow anonymous access (no authentication). Flush your DNS cache, then test via internet account.
Janetb99

--
02 Nov 2004 11:28 AM
Nada - even flushed the dns on the domain controller. I've tried so much stuff, I've probably really got report services screwed up.

Anybody think of anything else I can try? I'd really like to use this - pretty soon. But, I'm gonna have to flush it if you have to be logged into the network to use it.

Many thanks to all willing to try,
Janet
xfonhe

--
02 Nov 2004 11:47 AM
Did you ensure the security for the ReportServer virtual direcory(ies) was not being overridden by inherrited settings at the site level?

Again, this looks like a security issue in IIS, rather than a SRS issue.

Your intranet users have access to the site; can successfully run reports.
You have added the ExternalUrl element in the RSWebApplication.config file, leaving the ServerUrl element unchanged.
You have added a host (A) record in DNS to proerly route the intranet users to the server.
IUSR_servername has appropriate access rights.

Should work.
Janetb99

--
03 Nov 2004 04:03 AM
I've reset permissions on the physical folders for both reportManager and reportServer to NOT inherit and cascade child for IUSR, Everyone, Administrator, SQLExec.

I've reset permission within IIS at the web level for IUSR - no clear text, no windows authentication. I've flushed the dns on the webserver and the domain server.

Only access, even through Intranet is when using the serverName. When I add the external URL parameter, I can no longer access reporting services report manager page - exception error for external url. Take external parameter out - everything is fine again.

Still receiving 403.8 error when trying to use url. Have had four folks email me with same problem.

Any specific things to check?
jlimmer

--
03 Nov 2004 04:03 AM
You didn't say what exception error but be aware that the case of the external tag is NOT what is in the documentation. It should be <ReportServerExternalUrl>. Otherwise you will get an display stating that <ReportServerExternalURL> is not a valid configuration option.
Janetb99

--
03 Nov 2004 04:24 AM
Interesting. I copy/pasted your parameter into the config file. The report manager comes up using the server name without the exception error now, but I cannot view any of the reports through report manager. I get the 403.8 personalized error page from my website within the report manager window.

When I try to use the domain name, I get :
Server Error in '/' Application.
The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.
Requested Url: /reports/Pages/Folder.aspx

Straight http://www.domain.com/reportserver still gives 403.8 error above.

So, it seems to be resolving to the website, but something within RS itself doesn't resolve?
xfonhe

--
03 Nov 2004 05:38 AM
/Rports/Pages/Folder.aspx is a page in the reports folder of the SRS site. Ensure it exists in the path (via IIS MMC).

There is definitely something configured incorrectly in IIS. It may be simpler to uninstall, then install SRS.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Acceptable Use Policy