Search facility out of sync with message base

Last Post 11 May 2004 06:50 AM by TJ Harty. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mmcginty

--
08 May 2004 11:15 PM
When I search by author for my forum name, the most recent post returned is dated in March; search for BAnVA and the most recent listed is 12 April 2004.

Now I happen to know for a fact that both accounts have made more recent posts than that. Keyword searches for words that I know I've used (and, in my mind at least, should not be filtered as 'noise' words) likewise fail to turn-up hits.

If this search facility uses some level of cross-reference, or other construct that's built from/external to the actual post data, then I think it likely that this external construct is not being timely updated, is corrupt, or is otherwise out of sync with the actual post data.

If it doesn't use externally maintained data, and is a search of actual post data, then it's broken.

As for the suggestion that these issues should be emailed to support@, that has not been lost on me, if I see no response here I'll likely do that, however, I think it would be prudent for at least one staff person to monitor this portion of the forum at least, if, for no other reason, as an extra measure of QC.

And in a larger sense, what's the point of having a section like this if staff aren't going to read it?

Lastly, if it's an item of general interest, it's to the benefit of the forum to post the outcome publicly.

Any chance this could be looked-into, without the 'hullabaloo'?

-Mark
TJ Harty

--
11 May 2004 06:50 AM
I'll have the programmer who's responsible for the search servers take a look at this. We're upgrading the hardware on one of the search servers but that switch hasn't taken place yet.

I'll try to keep you posted as we try to figure out what's going on.

T. J. Harty
Windows & .NET Magazine
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy