win2003 IIS6 connection error to sql2000

Last Post 28 Jun 2004 11:24 AM by texsoft. 11 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
promaster99

--
13 Oct 2003 10:01 AM
Hi

I have 2 webservers one running win2000 and one new running win2003 webedition both have the same asp code connecting to an sql2000 sp3 on win2000 server, the w2k webserver can have 1900 users online making request to the sql no problem, But the problem starts when the users on the win2003 server >400-500 then some time they get "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied" if you hit refresh it works. why this problem on win2003.

//Mattias
promaster99

--
13 Oct 2003 11:09 AM
yes, tcp/ip not named pipes.
promaster99

--
13 Oct 2003 11:45 AM
no, connect direct to the sql server from the asp code, with the ipadress.
promaster99

--
13 Oct 2003 12:19 PM
i dont know, im not the code developer. But ther is no user DSN or system DSN configured. i think they use "conn.open" something in the asp code.
vrobert

--
16 Mar 2004 08:07 AM
Hi, I've exactly the same problem. We have tried ODBC and OLE. With ODBC, problem doesn't occured but we can't use it for another problem. With OLE, we have the same problem.

Do you find something to help ?

Vincent, FRANCE
vrobert

--
16 Mar 2004 11:10 PM
the mdac is 2.8 RTM
micknz

--
19 Apr 2004 04:05 PM
we're having similar issues with windows server 2003 and IIS6 - did anyone manage to fix this problem?
Source Cypher

--
09 Jun 2004 03:44 AM
The connection is ADO. Check your ASP:NET User Account Security settings on the SQL database.
satya

--
09 Jun 2004 11:59 PM
Link for information.

HTH
Worshiptheflame

--
10 Jun 2004 12:30 AM
Hi - this is info only based on experience and should not be considered the approach to take unless you have tested it thoroughly first.

We had this appear on a live app - seemed to be resource related - we eventually - after 5 days of agony and numerous calls with MS decided to turn off connection pooling in the web.config file - we have had no errors sinice we did that.

However be aware of the implications of doing this - we have a permanent monitor on our boxes to ensure we have no other performance problems.

texsoft

--
28 Jun 2004 11:24 AM
I just went through the pain of this exact same problem after moving an ASP app from IIS5 to IIS6. The problem turned out to be that I wasn't closing the database connections properly (or soon enough) and I wound up running out of connections to SQL Server. Evidently IIS5 was more tolerant of my sloppy coding. I'm not sure why connection pooling wasn't working on IIS6, though. This is for ASP, not ASP.NET -- YMMV.

BTW, to determine if this is what's happening to you, when the problem occurs, run this at the command line:

netstat -an >c:\netstat.txt

This will create a file that will show all your connections. Evidently, SQL Server defaults to allow 4,000 connections, and you will see that you have around that many, and a lot of them will show as TIME_WAIT connections on port 1433.
Worshiptheflame

--
29 Jun 2004 01:02 AM
The connectionss dropping to time_wait also mean they can't be re-used until they drop from that to a listening state. The time_wait period is 5 minutes by default but can be defined in the registry.

120642 TCP/IP and NBT Configuration Parameters for Windows 2000 or Windows NT
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=120642

The small section entitled "TcpTimedWaitDelay" is the one you are interested in.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy