Reporting Services and Visual Studio

Last Post 22 Jan 2005 11:44 AM by Tonchi. 6 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bigelectricmac

--
18 Jan 2005 12:39 PM
I have successfully installed Reporting Services on a server that also is running Sql Server 2000. I have Visual Studio on my desktop which is separate from the server running Reporting Services. Where do I get the Business Intelligence Add-In for Visual Studio
.Net 2003? The Reporting Services installer fails on my desktop. I do not have ASP.Net
or IIS on my desktop but it is on the server running Reporting Services. I was hoping to be able to design reports on my desktop while running the database and Reporting Services on another. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
bigelectricmac

--
18 Jan 2005 01:17 PM
yes, but the Reporting Services installation fails on my desktop (running XP installing the Developers release of Reporting Services). Error Code 1603:. I have found MSDN articiles related to this and they point to IIS not being installed. The work around did not work. Is IIS and Asp.Net required for just the Business Intelligence Add-In to Visual Studio .Net 2003.
bigelectricmac

--
21 Jan 2005 06:31 AM
I wonder if any one else has been successful in installing the Report Designer's Add In to Visual Studio on a desktop with IIS and Asp.Net installed. I keep getting the 1603 error when trying to install and the log file seems to indicate that it is failing on ASP.Net not being installed.
PrepareRSDialogs Error: Unable to get the ASP Net Account
<EndFunc Name='SetDialogs' Return='1603' GetLastError='14000'>
Gathering darwin properties for failure handling.
<Func Name='DisplayErrorDialog'>
<Failure Type='Fatal' Error='1603'>
<EndFunc Name='RedirectorCAX' Return='1603' GetLastError='14000'>
tskaggs

--
21 Jan 2005 06:42 AM
I had a tough time with the install, too. It is not really clear that there are two sections to the install - one for the server and another for the development environment.

If you go back through the install routine on your development machine and select ONLY those options needed on the Visual Studio side, it should work.

Microsoft has some detailed installation instructions that are a big help, too. TechNet has an article called Reporting Services Deployment Guide.

Good luck.
bigelectricmac

--
21 Jan 2005 06:48 AM
Thanks, you know I never really get to a screen that gives me options as to what to install. It dies right after it checks for dependencies. It displays a message saying IIS and ASP.Net are not installed, but lets me select Next, and then the very next screen is displayed with only Cancel Button displayed and an error message is in a message box (Error code 1603).
I'll check the Deployment Guide next.
Tonchi

--
22 Jan 2005 11:44 AM
the following is just "my guess":
in a testing environment, i was able to install rs in a web server as presentation layer, and then its db in a separate server.
now, the web server was stand alone, and sql server was part of a domain.
the setup was w2k sp4, iis 5.0, sql2k sp3a and .net framework 1.1. (at that point in time there was no sp for .net framework 1.1).
now, my point is that the aspnet account, from this stand-alone web server, was doing pass-thru authentication to this sql server and another file server in this virtual network. well, my solution is an accident from a previous setup. actually, it looks to me that before trying that, you should make aspnet account, from your dev maschine run as a network service account. this is thinking security is not an issue. my solution requires creating aspnet account on sql server with minimal privileges. actually, this worked fine for me for a file server, where i made it a regular user with full share permissions over a shared folder.
please, let me know if your solution is anyhow related to this. i might be doing setups like this in the near future.

Tonci Korsano
"What you think doesn't matter. What matters is evidence..."
bigelectricmac

--
26 Jan 2005 10:12 AM
Thank you so much for your assistance. After reading your reply I remember seeing an MSDN article
related to troubleshooting ASP.Net errors.

Troubleshooting an Installation of Reporting Services
ASP.NET installation or configuration errors
If you receive the error, "ASP.NET version 1.1 is not installed or is incorrectly configured", during Setup, and ASP.NET is already installed, run aspnet_regiis -i from the %windir%\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322 folder.

I ran the aspnet_regiis executable and the problem disappeared. Not exactly sure since I never recieved that exact error message ("ASP.NET version 1.1 is not installed or is incorrectly configured"), but it fixed it.

Thanks again.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy