Cannot Choose Merge Replication

Last Post 05 May 2004 02:26 AM by Chris_K. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Chris_K

--
30 Apr 2004 04:28 AM
Hi,
I two identicle database on two different servers. I have setup merge replication from the database on server1 onto a database with the same name on server2 - This works fine.

Now I am trying to setup merge replication from the database on server2 onto the database on server1 but I keep getting the error message ..

Cannot create megre replication in database 'db1'. The database contains one or more merge subscriptions that are anonymous or that use the priority of the Publisher when resolving conflicts.

How can I create merge replication on this database??

Thanks.
Chris_K

--
04 May 2004 02:58 AM
Hi,
I have two servers (SRV01 and SRV02). Each server contains a database called DB_Rep.

I am wanting to set merge replication up on each server so that anytime a record is entered into a table in the database DB_Rep on SRV01 it automatically updates the same table in the database DB_Rep on SRV02.

This I can setup, however the problem occurs when I try and set the same replication as I have mentioned above but from SRV02 into SRV01 instead, after the merge replication from SRV01 to SRV02 is up and running.

Does this explain what I need.

Thanks.
Chris_K

--
04 May 2004 05:17 AM
Thanks,

But that still leaves me with the problem of being able to use merge replication from SRV01 to SRV02 and everything works fine.

What step do I need to go through to replicate from SRV02 to SRV01 whilst keeping the replication from SRV01 to SRV02 ??

If I just use 'Push' replicate from SRV01 to SRV02 I get no errors so I leave that in place and scheduled to run.

Next I go SRV02 and try and set up 'Push' replication from SRV02 to SRV01 it fails every time. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Chris_K

--
04 May 2004 06:08 AM
The concept of Merge Replication I understand, its the steps of setting it up to merge replicate from SRV01 >> SRV02 and then from SRV02 >> SRV01 that I am unclear on.

Thanks.
Chris_K

--
04 May 2004 06:27 AM
After setting up merge replication from SRV01 >> SRV02 (and then testing) the data is transferred successfully.

If I then hop onto SRV02 and set up merge replication into SRV01, I can create a new Publication and then I create a "Push New Subscription", but the Status of this "Push Subscription is always "Deactivated". When I look in "Management" >> "SQL Server Agent" >> Jobs the status of the REPL-Merge is always failed, and if I view the Job History I see the following error message ...

"The merge process could not retrieve article information for publication 'Mailsort'. The step failed."

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks.
Chris_K

--
04 May 2004 06:37 AM
Ok, but what if a user updates information in the database on SRV02? How is that change then reflected in the table on SRV01?

Thanks.
Chris_K

--
05 May 2004 02:26 AM
Its replies like that, that just offer no help what so ever. I understand the logic of replication, the errors I keep receiving brought me to this forum looking for help. You obviously just want to increase your posts rather that offering help..... or is it that you just know the answer???
prakashrajgopal

--
13 Jul 2004 09:56 PM
Hello Chris,
You can definitely set up two-way merge replication. It is really simple to do. But the trick is not to setup one-way merge replication on two separate servers as you are trying. This would definitely give you the error that merge replication has already been setup. This won't do.
Instead, when you setup your first server (SRV01) for replication, you will be presented with the option of selecting the publishers and the subscribers. Here you will have to select both the servers(SRV01 and SRV02) as publishers and subscribers. You need not set up replication on the second server separately. This would work perfectly.

Cheers,
Prakash Rajgopal
Mattbing

--
14 Jul 2004 03:39 AM
Chris_K

Once Merge replication is set up with server1 as the publisher and server2 as the subscriber, you are done. What will happen is that no matter where data is entered it will be replicated to the other server, so you are able to make changes in both locations. We have this set up at my location, where the subscribers to all the updating to the publisher, except for a certain set of tables. They get updated from a user on a web client that get pushed back down to the subscribers. If you want to get a little deeper into it, the parameter called "Exchange_Type" has values of 1,2,3 which you can use to tell the merge agent which direction you want replication to go.

The values are for Exchange_Type are:
1=Upload(Only changes made on subscriber will be pushed to publisher)
2=Download(Only changes made on publisher will be pushed to subscriber)
3=BiDirectional (This is the Default Value - changes made in either location will be pushed to the other)
For more info on this, go to BOL and type in "Exchange_Type"

Hope this helps you a bit

Matt
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy