Newbie Question: Dimn Editor Calc for Member Name

Last Post 08 Dec 2004 05:35 PM by AspiringGeek. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
AspiringGeek

--
26 Nov 2004 01:45 PM
Greetings, I can hold my own w/ the SQL Server DB Engine, but I'm an Analysis Services Newbie. As a quick intro, I'm walking through Analysis Services Step-by-Step from MS Press. It seems like a pretty good primer. Everything was fine until I got to a section on the Dimn Editor in which I'm supposed to use an expression to modify the Name property on the Basic tab. This is the expression I'm using:

"Product"."Brand_Name" + ' ' + "Product"."Product_Name"

The error I get is msb box w/ this text:
---------------------------
Analysis Manager
'"".""+' '+"".""' are not valid characters.
OK

I've tried various permutations and I'm confident that the table & field names are correct. I'm fairly sure I'm in the right plac as far as displaying & changing the correct property sheet.

Any ideas? Thanks!
max_bucks

--
30 Nov 2004 04:04 PM
Not sure if this will work because I'm kinda new to it also, but try replacing the double quotes with the open and close square brackets like this:

[Product].[Brand_Name] + ' ' + [Product].[Product_Name]

I think this will concatenate the Brand_Name and Product_Name into a single value separated by a space like "Heinz Catsup".

Greg
AspiringGeek

--
30 Nov 2004 06:03 PM
Thanks for your input, but that was one of the first things I tried.
AspiringGeek

--
08 Dec 2004 05:35 PM
C'mon, there's gotta be someone out there to help! This may seem petty, but not getting past a little thing such as this is distressing. Thanks!
PaulMcKibben

--
30 Dec 2004 11:42 AM
I don't know if this will help.

I assume you are referring to the Member Name Column value. If you are, add "dbo". before each occurrence of "Product".
AspiringGeek

--
01 Jan 2005 09:42 AM
My db engine is fully up-to-date. However, I'd not service packed Analysis Services. Once I did so, as my friend the cellist says, "Viola!"

Just to confirm I hadn't fat-fingered, I copied-&-pasted the value from this post--the one which wouldn't work in November, back into the Member Name column.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy