Programmatic interface for OLAP object creation?

Last Post 28 Apr 2004 02:35 AM by mtbehrndt. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mimadon

--
14 Apr 2004 11:35 AM
Is there a programmatic interface that can be used to define/create dimensions, cubes, and other OLAP objects?

We're in a position where we may need to create and maintain close to 200 cubes (and many more related dimensions) in order to offer a well tailored OLAP experience for close to 200 different organizational units.

BOL appears completely silent on any approach to Cube and Dimension design/creation that does not use the Analysis Services Manager GUI interface.

It looks like we could benefit greatly from a non-GUI, programmatic interface to OLAP administration. Does such an interface exist?

kskistad

--
22 Apr 2004 10:47 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned DSO yet. Decision Support Objects allow for the creation and modification of any Analysis Services object; cubes, dimensions, partitions, etc. It also allows you to process the cubes as well.

Microsoft has a metadata scripter utility with the SQL Server 2000 Resource kit that is an add-in to Analysis Manager. You can export vbs scripts that define your AS object and then modify the script to your liking and rerun to create, modify or destroy objects.

Also there is a XML-DSO utility that exports to XML format and using the same utility you can reappy your changes.

There is DDL support in MDX for local cube files as well.

Kory
olapdude

--
22 Apr 2004 11:11 AM
I think you are just looking for DSO. (Decision Support Objects) It it the API that you can use to create/modify olap cubes.

Good luck
laker_42

--
22 Apr 2004 11:33 AM
You might look into Microsoft SQL Server Accelerator for BI. It uses several Excel spreadsheets to define the cube & other objects and then creates the structure that you need using scripts. You do need Office XP at the least. Check it out it might help you.

John
mtbehrndt

--
28 Apr 2004 02:35 AM
I've the same problem. Where I can find the DSO? I search for it but I can't find it.
Another question, is there a possibility to take the data from a cube or mining model and put it into web. I mean I want to know how to query a mining model or cube?
kskistad

--
28 Apr 2004 05:44 AM
DSO stands for Microsoft Decision Support Objects and is an object-model for managing the Analysis Services environment. Anything you can do through Analysis Manager you can programmatically do with DSO. To use DSO, you have to write code in a development environment that supports COM, for example, Visual Basic, Visual Basic for Applications, Windows Scripting Host, ASP, .NET, etc. Add a reference to the Microsoft Decision Support Objects library in your development environment and start coding. A lot of information on the object model can be found in Books Online or MSDN.

DSO is not how you query a cube, however. You will need to use ADOMD (another COM object library) or XMLA. These technologies allow you to access the data in the cubes programmatically. Again, a lot of info online how to use ADOMD and XMLA.

I am not familiar with mining models, so I cannot offer any help there.

Kory
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy