Push publication to 2 databases...

Last Post 24 Oct 2004 07:19 AM by prospec. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bigelectricmac

--
10 Mar 2004 08:32 AM
I have Transactional/ Push replication...

Have ONE publisher database: P1
2 Distribution/Subscriber database... S1 and S2

Right now, I'm pushing from Publisher (P1) to Subsscriber/Distributer (S1). All is fine and dandy

This is what I want to do: Push to the new server S2 as well

This is what I did:
1. I set up S2 as subscription database.
2. Selected the "publiser" for this database.
3. On P2 ( the publisher), right clicked, chose "Push new Subscription") . Chose S2 as the subscriber, chose "run agent at distributor", chose "continously", chose "yes" to initialize. When I got "Start Required Services" screen, it only lists S1 as the server with SQLserverAgent running. Shouldnt this be S2 (the new subscriber) ??

4. It starts pushing , but the agent for this new database (S2) is located on S1 !! I want the agents to be running S2, the new subscriber.

what am i missing??
bigelectricmac

--
10 Mar 2004 10:26 AM
S2 ( the new server) is also a distributor...i made a distributor and SQL Server created a distribution database on it...

hmm..so i have 2 distributors...how can I choose S2??
bigelectricmac

--
11 Mar 2004 05:53 AM

The ex-developer set up the replication..having distributor and subscriber separate from Publisher and since i'm not a dba, i really dont want to change it...

I just want to push to a new server (S2) and then disable the subscriber/distributor to the other one (S1) after I get it working on S2...

This is what I did ....based on what rm said...to create a new publication:

1. created a new publication with one article in it. in "properties", "subscription options" tab, I marked "Use a distribution agent that is indepdent of other publications from this database".

2. In "status" tab of publication properties, i see Service Status , but i still see SQLServerAgent (On S1) Running ... This should be S2.

3. In "agent properties", in "run agent" step of the job , I have this:
-Publisher [P1] -PublihserDB[caller] -Distributor [S1] -Publication [CallerTable] -DistributorSecurityMode 1

but that distributor should be S2 I changed the job step to "S2" as distributor.

4. Pushed the new publication. Chose the subscriber S2, chose "run agent at distributor", again when i get to "Start required Services", I see S1 on the list as having SQlServerAgent running.

But still it creates it on S1 and it fails..i guess because i changed the distributor manually

Any way to publish to S2, the new server without separating distributor/subscriber as Trav described??
prospec

--
24 Oct 2004 07:19 AM
"Each publication can have only one distributor, you need create another publication for S2 in your case. "

RM,
I understand that each Publicher can have one and only one distributor, but is it possible for a publication to have a different ditribution agent? For example I have P1 with 5 publications. I also have S1. I want to set up 4 publication with a shared distribution agent and 1 publication with a different distribution agent all of which point to S1. How would I go about doing this?
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy