Peculiar Replication Problem

Last Post 24 Mar 2004 06:31 PM by nalmot. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dceshark

--
19 Mar 2004 02:19 PM
Well I have run out of ideas, so I will hopefully get some from this forum.

We have a single master replication server that supports pull replications form 4 clients.

Here is the wildness. Three out of the four are working fine. No problems.

So I dropped the pull replications on the fourth box, figuring I would just make a clean sweep of things and start over. This is what ended up happening. I found out that the subscriptions on the master were not there, but they we still on the fourth server. No idea how hey were deleted from the distributor but still on the target server. This is why I deleted and started over.

After doing that, I re-created the pull subscription. It does register, so far so good. Next, I run the spapshot agent. It runs with out a problem. I am thinkg fine so far. Now when I go to the distribution agent, and start it. It never starts. The staus never changes and replication never occurs. I have tried start the distribution agent several time. The server does not even show the failure to start in any of the event logs. So I mark the subscription to re-initialize and start the process again. Same result.

I am about to go crazy over this one. I am not an expert in replication, but I have been an SQL DBA for 9 years, and this is the first time I have seen this kind of abberant behavior.

Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

David
jorge.rivera

--
19 Mar 2004 04:00 PM
Hi dceshark

I have the same problem in one server , few months before , uninstall for complete the replication, and reconfigure, is like some thing is damaged, never found what happening in my case...

May be it can help you...
talltop

--
23 Mar 2004 09:30 AM
Also, have you tried running the distribution agent with the -output option from the command line?

--------------------------------------
Travis Lee Alltop
SQL Server DBA
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33305

nalmot

--
24 Mar 2004 06:31 PM
Hi David,
I believe you need to check the owner of the distribution agent.
It can be the domain account or an account (may be sa) with sufficient privilges.
It usually does not start if the owner does not have privilges. If possible allow the account operating sqlagent service to own your distribution agent.
You may right click on the distribution agent and open agent properties sheet and look up for the owner and allocate appropriate owner..

HTH

Nalmot
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Acceptable Use Policy