Parent-Child as outrigger (snowflake) vs fact FK ( star)

Last Post 08 Jul 2011 07:46 AM by PaulMcKibben. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
KevP

--
04 Apr 2011 12:16 AM
I have a design choice and was wondering if anyone could give benefit of their experience. I'm just putting together a cube for sales analysis at a transactional grain level using Kimball methodology.
Scenario I'm mulling over is DimProduct and DimProductGroup tables. Each product in DimProduct table belongs to a ProductGroup. Now the ProductGroup is a ragged heirarchy which I'm representing with a Parent-Child relationship in DimProductGroup through attributes in DimProductGroup(ParentProductGroupId) referencing  DimProductGroup(ProductGroupId).

Could anyone please give me the pro's and con's for each of the two options whereby:

Option 1 - Outrigger table where FactSale(ProductId) references DimProduct(ProductId) and DimProduct(ProductGroupGroupId) references DimProductGroup(ProductGroupId).

Option 2 - FactSales(ProductId) references DimProduct(ProductId) and FactSales(ProductGroupId) references DimProductGroup(ProductGroupId)

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Peter Schmitz

--
04 Apr 2011 01:51 AM
Very simplified, the advantage of snowflaking is that you save on storage. The disadvantage is additional complexity, and perhaps some performance dip due to the additional join.

I kind of miss option 3, though, where you make a product dimension table which incorporates a hierarchy for the productgroup.

I.e.

ProductID, ProductGroupID, ProductGroupDescription, ProductDescription

Just some quick thoughts.

Peter

KevP

--
04 Apr 2011 05:39 AM
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

Kimball methodology offers use of a snowflake outrigger table (no more than 2 references away from the fact table), but I was wondering what the impact would be of having an outrigger which is a parent-child self-referencing table.

I don't think we can have option 3 you propose because we need to be able to drill down a ragged heirarchy from an unknown number of ProductGroup levels.

I do lean towards using Option2 and having ProductGroupId referenced by the fact table. But my lack of practical experience is prompting me to stop and think and about this one.
PaulMcKibben

--
08 Jul 2011 07:46 AM
KevP,

I realize that this is late, but I believe that Option 1 or 3 are the best options.

I say that because my experience is that your clients will probably want to drill down from the Product Group to the Product. Both option 1 and 3 would allow that.

Acceptable Use Policy
---