High Memory Usage

Last Post 17 Oct 2012 12:13 PM by dstoltz. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
dstoltz

--
17 Oct 2012 10:53 AM
I was always told, SQL in general will always "grab up" as much memory as your throw at it. So I always assumed it would monopolize the majority of the memory, which is one of many reasons why it's a good idea to have a dedicated SQL box.

In using SQL Diagnostic Manager (by Idera, using the trial) - it says the server is critical with memory usage at 97%

Wouldn't this be normal?
gunneyk

--
17 Oct 2012 11:34 AM
I am not totally sure what they mean by that but it is possible they are referring to leaving some memory for the OS. I always recommend setting a MAX memory setting in SQL Server to allow for proper memory for the OS and any otehr apps that may need to run on that server. Yes SQL Server can dynamically adust memory and in many cases run fine without setting a max there are times when that is not enough.
dstoltz

--
17 Oct 2012 11:48 AM
Good point - I'm not really sure how to determine the appropriate level of memory for the OS....I have 12 gigs to play with...

Any ideas?
gunneyk

--
17 Oct 2012 12:13 PM
12GB total? That's not a lot for SQL Server these days. My laptop has that much :). I would leave 2GB to start with for the OS and see how that goes.
dstoltz

--
17 Oct 2012 12:13 PM
Yeah, I know...I can only work with what I have ;-) - there's no budget here....

Acceptable Use Policy
---