TCP ports in a cluster environment

Last Post 13 Nov 2011 01:34 PM by rm. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
C.J. Vieleers

--
13 Nov 2011 07:49 AM

Hi,

I would like to know if it's recommended to have multiple sql instances in a cluster environment that all use the same tcp port (1433)
Recently i installed such a configuration and looks to be working fine. Having all the instances on the same port makes it much easier for application administrator, because they don't have to specify a port number.

I was quite suprised to see that the config is working, since they always told me not to use the same port number for multiple instances.

Can it be the case that this is true for a single server with multiple instances, but not for cluster environments?
In a cluster environment every sql instance has it's on ip address and therefore it's possible to use 1433 for each one of them.

Port numbers are related to ip address. So on a server with 1 ip address i won't work.

Still, i have my doubts about this configuration. What's going to happen with the support from Microsoft for such a configuration? Also, are there any know technical issues with such configurations?

greetings,

Kick

rm

--
13 Nov 2011 01:34 PM
It's valid config because each instance has its own ip address.

Acceptable Use Policy
---