Best practices for min server memory

Last Post 19 Jul 2011 09:24 AM by rm. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
e90fleet

--
18 Jul 2011 04:10 PM
Hi all,

On the 2 node active/active cluster (each node (64-bit) has 1 instance and 16GB of RAM) what value should i set for the min server memory setting? The max server memory for each instance is currently set to 10240MB but i never set the min server memory before and wondering if it's recommended and what is the best practice for the setting?

I read some articles and some recommend to set the min server memory to 50% of the total amount of memory on the server and some to the value equal to the value in max server memory.

Thanks
rm

--
19 Jul 2011 04:59 AM
Depends on how much memory each instance should have to keep it work properly. I'll make total of those (let's say give instance1 5gb and instance2 7gb based on db size and activities of each instacnce) to around 12gb and leave 4gb for os in case have to run both instances on same node.
gunneyk

--
19 Jul 2011 05:54 AM
I agree with RM in that you should consider what the min memory each instance needs to operate but you also have to consider when both run on the same node. If you set it to 50% then you don't leave any for the OS. Always leave memory for the OS.
e90fleet

--
19 Jul 2011 06:38 AM
Thank you very much guys,

In general it's a good idea to have min server memory set or i can leave it as 0 as it was before for years?
We basically don't have problems, i am just trying to learn and see if this setting can help one day. Is there any performace affect if this setting is greater than 0?
rm

--
19 Jul 2011 09:24 AM
Better to set min memory when server has multiple instances.

Acceptable Use Policy
---