SSD effect on TempDB

Last Post 10 Jun 2011 05:17 AM by goaler. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages Resolved
rerichards

--
09 Jun 2011 03:36 PM
We are running SQL 2008 Enterprise 64 bit.

We are looking to implement a solid state drive on a server, with the drive containing tempDB.

As a way of evaluating the effect of having TempDB on a solid state drive I would like to be able to gather some metrics.

I am looking for your recommendation as far as what metrics should be gathered in order to make an assessment?
gunneyk

--
09 Jun 2011 06:08 PM
I would start with the perfmon counters for disks such as Sec/read and Sec/Write to see latency. Also get the virtual filestats from SQL Server to see other metrics reated to the physical I/O that tempdb uses now and afterwards.
goaler

--
10 Jun 2011 05:17 AM
If you have not implemented this yet I can tell you that the net effects are that the drives are very fast, however local to the machine and expensive.  What we have done in POC'ing this type of drive was to run SQLIO testing on the drive to get performance related testing on the IO from the drive and get metrics on the throughput, IOPS and latency etc, to gauge relative performance.  The testing of how TempDB performs is not necessarily a relative test since you are more interested on how the drive performs on those tests since if the drive does not scale then the performance of TempDB would be relative to that.

Hope that gives you some direction.

Acceptable Use Policy
---