Restore from Cluster server into non Cluster server

Last Post 04 Apr 2011 06:00 PM by ctseah. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
ctseah

--
01 Apr 2011 08:48 AM
Hi forumers,

Need your help..

I have a sql clustered server with an sql virtual name : A-Prd-Cluster.
The physical server name is known A-Prd.

From the Studio Management(Enterprise manager), I can see that this sql server name is : A-Prd-Cluster\SOPA. Where A-Prd-Cluster is the sql virtual name and SOPA is the instance name.

I have a task to backup all the system databases and user databases from A-Prd-Cluster\SOPA and restore them to another separate network zoned, non-clustered server known as server name : A-Prd

I want to install sql server in the target server with a name and instance as "A-Prd-Cluster\SOPA".  Is it possible to have a non-clustered server having 2 hostnames(A-Prd and A-Prd-Cluster) ?

Thank you in advance.

regards.
rm

--
01 Apr 2011 10:36 AM
No, single machine can't have 2 names. But you can create alias in dns.
ctseah

--
02 Apr 2011 07:20 PM
hi,

Thanks.
Do you forsee there will be any restoration issue of the sql databases(system and user) from the cluster sql to the non-cluster sql ?
I will be installing the same version of sql 2008 with the same sp.

Thanks &
Regards
russellb

--
02 Apr 2011 08:18 PM
No issue with restoring. As long as the target of the restore is same or newer version than the backup.
ctseah

--
02 Apr 2011 09:52 PM
Hi ,

Noted with thanks.
What kind of instruction do I need to tell the windows setup team for them to setup the windows server so that I can install the sql server as "A-Prd-Cluster\SOPA" ?

Thanks &
Regards

russellb

--
03 Apr 2011 07:34 PM
Well you can't have 2 servers on the same network with the same name. When you install SQL, you'll create a named instance, not a default instance. If the machines aren't on the same network, then there's nothing particularly special about the installation.

By the way, I assume you're wanting the same name so you don't have to modify client connection strings. This is why connection properties should be stored in config files.
ctseah

--
04 Apr 2011 08:07 AM
Hi,

The server name will be called "A-Prd". On this server I will need to install SQL instance named as "A-Prd-Cluster\SOPA", SOPA is the instance name.
Is that possible ?

Do you forsee any problem as at this step so far ?

Thanks &
Regards
rm

--
04 Apr 2011 09:47 AM
You can't change host name in sql installation.
ctseah

--
04 Apr 2011 06:00 PM
Hi Forumers,

Noted with thanks.

Regards

Acceptable Use Policy
---