Page Header, Pagination and PDF's

Last Post 25 Oct 2008 10:38 PM by SQLUSA. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
brownjp

--
23 Oct 2008 12:21 PM
I have been searching for a while to get an answer to this and I am coming up short. I hope that someone here will be able to provide some relief.

I have a report that is based on groupings of counties, sub-grouped into schools and then details based on student demographic information. Initially this was just an ad-hoc report, but it was met with so much enthusiasm it is utilized now on a daily basis.

The report is set up with a page header and footer visible. I return the globals for page number, number of pages and execution time in the page footer. The page header has a static title on the left side with a dynamic value on the right that references Report Item Textboxes for County Number and County Name separately. The body contains a table inside a list. Top level of the table grouping has the school number and school name and a count of students. That part works great. The schools can be expanded or collapsed to reveal the students, and by default they are collapsed. The group footer contains a total for the particular county, and that is properly displayed only on the last page of each county group break. In other words, you don't get a total count of students for that county until you are at the last school in the list. If it happens to be one page, that is great. If it is 20, the 20th page has a total.

Here is where the problem comes in when I opt to export the document as a PDF. The textbox that is referenced in the page header Report Item is a separate textbox that references this county name field from the original query. It is within the boundaries of the list that the table resides in and visibility is hidden. The only time the values appear for that county in the top right hand portion of the page header is on the last page of each group break. If there is only one page for that county, it looks perfect. If there are 3 pages, page 1 and 2 do not have county listed, but page 3 does. At first I thought it might be related to the group footer since it mirrored what the totals were doing. However, when I made the RepeatOnNewPage option True, I received the same results with the county as before, plus the Totals were on the bottom of every page (which is not what I wanted).

I can't figure out what it is in the settings that would cause the static portion of the page header to repeat properly, but not that dynamic information that is based on the grouping that puts the correct data on the page. Maybe I am too logical, or perhaps I am trying to do something that is impossible. I thought I would at least throw it out there to see if anyone else has experienced this in the SQL community.

Thanks in advance!
SQLUSA

--
25 Oct 2008 10:38 PM
Are you up-to-date with service packs?

Can you recreate the issue with AdventureWorks and posts the .rdl for download?

Kalman Toth - Database, Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Architect
SQL Server 2008 Training, SSAS, SSIS, SSRS: http://www.sqlusa.com/orderprogramming2008

Acceptable Use Policy
---