Looking for developer tool suggestions

Last Post 03 Feb 2011 01:41 PM by PaulMcKibben. 6 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
PaulMcKibben

--
19 Jan 2011 12:23 PM
I am looking for suggestions and recommendations for a tool or toolset that will allow proper users/developers to write T-SQL. 

They have been to MS training to write queries, and they really want SSMS.  We have made the corporate decision that they will not get that for security reasons. 

They are starting a project to convert a series of reports from DB2 to SQL Server using SQL 2008 SSRS.  On the top of their wish list is Intellisense. 

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
russellb

--
19 Jan 2011 04:09 PM
I'm sure Kevin has more thoughts on tools than I do, but...why NOT let 'em use SSMS? There is no security risk posed at all over other tools. What is key is that you set up these users permissions the way you want. This is true no matter what tools they are using.
gunneyk

--
19 Jan 2011 04:45 PM
I agree with Russell in that the security is all up to you as to what you give them access to or allow them to do. That is true for any tool.
PaulMcKibben

--
26 Jan 2011 12:57 PM
I would agree with what you're suggesting except for the fact that it is not the DBAs' role to grant authority.

My concern is that if Management Studio is deployed to them, they will end up with access to do more than just read or write data. I would rather give them a tool where they could only use read and/or write data through.

rm

--
26 Jan 2011 01:36 PM
How about MS Query?
Kevin_Kline

--
01 Feb 2011 04:01 PM
The security challenge isn't with the tool, it's with permissions. If the Devs have an SA account, they'll be able to do lots of stuff whether they use SSMS or any other tool. Otoh, if you give them a SQL Server account with limited permissions, then they'll be limited whichever way they connect. This latter approach has the benefit of also applying to the sneaky type of Dev, such as one who might crack open a copy of MS-Access and attempt their own projects. Since their account is limited at the get-go, they'll never be able to do more than they're allowed.

Now, as for tools, there are lots to choose from. I work for a vendor, so take that with a grain of salt. However, David Stein is an independent blogger who's written a lot about various tools available for T-SQL programming with IntelliSense. His blog is at: http://www.made2mentor.com/. I encourage you to check it out.

Hope this helps,

-Kevin Kline
Twitter @kekline
More content at http://KevinEKline.com
PaulMcKibben

--
03 Feb 2011 01:41 PM
Thank you for all of your suggestions

Acceptable Use Policy
---