Reporting Services install

Last Post 18 Mar 2004 10:33 AM by DocX. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
dbandee

--
08 Mar 2004 06:28 AM
It is sort of confusing here. I got three CDs from Microsoft with reporting services: Enterprise, Standard and Dev edition. All CDs says Servers - Server Applications.
Well, i was trying to install it on my W2K server. I got a warning error saying that IIS, Authz (Authorisation ???), ASP.NET is not installed. I installed IIS, and also i have installed .NET framework 1.1 But i am still getting an error message saying that ASP.NET is not installed. Well, it was my understanding that .NET Framework will be installed automatically (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/report...sreqs.asp)
Also i can not install Reporting services on my XP workstation. Is there a client CD?
I was using Standard Edition disk.
Thank you very much
dbandee

--
08 Mar 2004 07:15 AM
it is win2k server with latest SP. There is no ASP.NET in 'add remove programs' the only option in .NET Framework is 'Remove'
In Bokks online for RS it says Standard Edition Server supports Win2K server, Win2k Advanced Server, and Standard Edition Client suopports Win2k SP4 or later and Win XP SP1.

So is there also a client CD? The CDs i have dont have client install option.
thanks
kskistad

--
11 Mar 2004 01:21 PM
Here are some details of the Beta version of the product that was not included in the Eval version:

ASP.NET is required for the Report Server and the Report Manager components.

Verify that Microsoft .Net Framework v1.1 is installed. You can confirm that it is installed by searching your disk for the Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 folder. You can also use Add / Remove Programs in Control Panel and confirm that Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 is shown in the Currently installed programs list.

Verify that IIS is installed. You can confirm that IIS is installed by using Add / Remove Programs, click Add/Remove Windows Components. The Windows Component Wizard appears. In the Components, scroll down to see if Internet Information Services (IIS) is checked. If not, check it, and click Next to configure the components. Click Finish to close the wizard.

Run aspnet_regiis -i from the %windir%\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322 folder

If you receive the error, "ASP.NET version 1.1 is not installed or is incorrectly configured", during Setup, and ASP.NET is already installed, run aspnet_regiis -i from the %windir%\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322 folder.

For more information on the ASP.NET mappings, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 306005: "HOWTO: Repair IIS Mapping After you Remove and Reinstall IIS" at www.microsoft.com/support.
dmcdowell

--
14 Mar 2004 05:13 PM
kskistad's post should solve your ASP.NET issue...

Regarding the SysReqs posted - whoever wrote that spec was thinking the VS.NET 2003 setup process would install .NET 1.1, but was not considering that a server would usually be configured without VS.NET 2003.

Regarding the various CDs for the various version - well it makes sense that, on the server, you need the same version as the SQL Server relational engine that is already installed (or just Standard if you are installing on a web server without the relational engine)... But the client bits (Report Designer, Docs/Samples, Admin Tools) are the same on all three versions. So if you just want to get the Report Designer installed on a workstation, install VS.NET 2003 and then install Reporting Services and only select "Client Components". Assuming you are new to the Reporting Services game, you will want to be sure to add the Samples... but they require the Sample database "AdventureWorks2000"... you can install that locally when you build your Reporting Services server or remotely (on any SQL Server database - be sure you have credentials that allow you to install the database) when you install the client components.
DocX

--
18 Mar 2004 10:18 AM
Having a similar problem installing the Eval Edition of Reporting Services. Only error I get is:

Authz is not installed on this computer. Authz is required by the Report Server component.

WTH is Authz? This is the only error I get...
DocX

--
18 Mar 2004 10:33 AM
I found a copy of authz.dll and setup works now. You'd think in Microsofts' infinite wisdom the install wizard would be a little less picky.

Doc
dmcdowell

--
24 Mar 2004 07:09 PM
The Authz issue is fixed by Win2K SP4.
DocX

--
25 Mar 2004 06:23 AM
Actually Win2k SP 4 does NOT fix this issue - that box had SP 4 on it and Authz.dll was not installed!

Chalk another one up to Oz (M$).

X
dmcdowell

--
25 Mar 2004 06:43 AM
Okay, one last stretch... This was posted on 3/4 by Tudor Trufinescu, a RS dev lead: It relates to Authz but not necessarily install issues. I did not offer this before since I have needed/used KB article 834859....

<begin post>
If you are seeing Report server SUBSCRIPTIONS failing with the following
message: ServerConfigurationErrorException: The Report Server has
encountered a configuration error; more details in the log files
AND the Report server log file contains an error message from
AuthzInitializeContextFromSid similar to the one below:

e ERROR: Throwing
Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorEx
ception: The Report Server has encountered a configuration error; more
details in the log files, AuthzInitializeContextFromSid: Win32 error: 5;
possible reason - service account doesn't have rights to check domain user
SIDs.;
Info:
Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorEx
ception: The Report Server has encountered a configuration error; more
details in the log files

you might be running into an known Authz issue. We are working on making a
patch available on http://support.microsoft.com. We will be announcing its
availability in the near future.

In the meanwhile, you can contact Microsoft PSS (product support) and ask
for the fix for KB article 834859.

Thank you for your support and help in improving Reporting Services.

--
Tudor Trufinescu
Dev Lead
Sql Server Reporting Services
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
<end post>

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=a...gbl&rnum=1">Read it here.

Acceptable Use Policy
---