"Developer" Version (supporting server components on a workstation?)

Last Post 07 Mar 2004 05:52 PM by AspiringGeek. 7 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
AspiringGeek

--
02 Mar 2004 09:30 AM
I've posted the question here as a natural follow-up to an existing thread. Yet the question rightly belongs in this category.

I was a member of the Reporting Services beta program. Beta II supported server components on my workstations. The RTM version Microsoft sent me does not. I don't know whether the 120-day evaluation version does (besides,I don't want to be bothered by re-installing). I'm told there's an MSDN version that does what I seek, but if so it certainly isn't obvious.

Does anyone out there know the real deal? Thanks!
bigelectricmac

--
05 Mar 2004 08:28 AM
I am using the developer edition - but I am also running a server as a workstation. I do believe however, that the server side components will not install on a workstation unless you are using the developer edition.

The standard and enterprise editions will not install their server side components on a workstation at all.

=-Chris
(Reporting Services beta tester as well)
AspiringGeek

--
05 Mar 2004 10:03 AM
Chris, thanks for your reply. My question is, where did you get the Developer Edition of Reporting Services. Our Enterprise Subscription guy has looked twice on MSDN and can't find it. He even sent me a screen capture, and it sure doesn't look like it's there.

Thanks!
bigelectricmac

--
07 Mar 2004 12:24 PM
You have to call them and order it.

Go here:

Reporting Services Fulfillment Page

Look down at the bottom - you will see the part # for the edition you will need to order.

I hope this helps you and everyone else who needs the development edition.

Cheers!

=-Chris
AspiringGeek

--
07 Mar 2004 05:52 PM
Chris, this page has changed since I initially ordered my copy of the Enterprise Edition. Thanks for the heads up!
dmcdowell

--
14 Mar 2004 05:48 PM
The RTM version of Reporting Services available for download from MSDN will install on a desktop OS if you have SQL Server Developer Edition already installed. It will also upgrade a Beta2 install.
AspiringGeek

--
14 Mar 2004 05:52 PM
I was unable to install server components. I initially upgraded from the beta, but then I uninstalled completely and re-installed and was unsuccessful getting the server components after numerous efforts.

Thanks for your reply.
dmcdowell

--
15 Mar 2004 04:57 PM
Okay... You have Win2KPro or WinXPPro and SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition installed, along with .NET 1.1, IIS, and VS.NET 2003... and the MSDN bits will not let you install all Reporting Services components (including server) locally?

Acceptable Use Policy
---