Login Failure

Last Post 31 Mar 2004 02:03 PM by mwesch. 14 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
mwesch

--
30 Mar 2004 07:20 AM
Am getting the following error when tyring to connect to my report server,

The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. The logon failed. (rsReportServerDatabaseLogonFailed) Get Online Help
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

The online help just says to use the correct username/password.

Does anyone know what account Report Server uses to connect to SQL Server? Is it trying to use the Report Server service account, or my domain user account? Both have SysAdmin access to the database server.

This is a development environment and I haven't used it too much. I am guessing the problem started happening when I changed the password on the Report Server service account. The service uses a domain admin account, which is the same account that the SQL Server service runs as. IIS server and SQL server are are separate Win2003 servers in same domain.
mwesch

--
30 Mar 2004 09:57 AM
How do you add HOSTNAME\ASPNET account as login on SQL Server?

My IIS server is on different machine than SQL Server. Is there a Windows server setting that allows me to trust local accounts from another machine? Do I just set up an identical ASPNET account on my SQL Server? How do I change the password of ASPNET account on IIS box without affecting other .NET applications?

dmcdowell

--
31 Mar 2004 06:54 AM
Something has changed with the SQL or domain account that you configured Reporting Services to connect to the ReportServer database with.

Sooooo... either figure out which account you used at install and troubleshoot the existence/permissions of that account OR use the RSConfig.exe command line utility (with -c) to assign an account that does work:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...frame=true
mwesch

--
31 Mar 2004 11:17 AM
Thanks Douglas. I think that is the right track, because I am pretty sure I know what account I used to set it up initially and I know that password was changed.

However, it doesn't solve my problem. I used rsconfig and changed connection to use the SA account. I am still getting the same error that server doesn't exist or access is denied. The error has changed somewhat -

The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing. (rsReportServerDatabaseUnavailable) Get Online Help
SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

From IIS Report Server, I can ping database server using IP address or servername. And I can set up ODBC connection to ReportServer database. All means to me that network is not an issue so it must be permissions
dmcdowell

--
31 Mar 2004 11:24 AM
Hate to ask... did you restart the ReportServer service after using rsconfig?
mwesch

--
31 Mar 2004 11:50 AM
Not at first, but after all else failed, yes. Still gives me Access Denied message.
mwesch

--
31 Mar 2004 12:10 PM
Turned on SQL Profiler to audit logins/logoffs. No login attempts from Report Server when trying to access the Reports Manager.

I have used rsconfig as follows, running locally from the IIS Report Server. I've restarted ReportServer service after each group.

rsconfig -c -s MWESSQLDEV -d ReportServer -a Windows
rsconfig -e -u DOMAIN\DomainAdmin -p *****

rsconfig -c -s MWESSQLDEV -d ReportServer -a SQL -u sa
rsconfig -e -u sa -p *****

So is there some other configuration file that needs to be changed too?
dmcdowell

--
31 Mar 2004 01:30 PM
I am not where I can test it to be 100%, but you should be make the account change all in one rsconfig comand, not two. So it may not be "taking". Therefore if you are currently using a NT account (that you have not been able to effectively change from) that has since had a password change, you are not seeing any SQL Profiler activity because it is not getting past the DC for domain authentication.
mwesch

--
31 Mar 2004 02:03 PM
Doug,

Actually I tried all in one first and didn't work. Then after reading the MSDN link you sent me, as well as the rsconfig help, it seemed to say I need to do -c and -e. That's when I went to multiple statements.

And you get an error if you do -c and -e at same time.
dmcdowell

--
01 Apr 2004 06:02 PM
To respect your time with a lot of troubleshooting that could be avoided: Could you reinstall? That will fix it for you.
mwesch

--
01 Apr 2004 07:16 PM
That's an option. I've already reinstalled 2 or 3 times for various reasons. It's not time critical to me at this point, so I am sort of using this as a learning experience.

There seems to be a lot of moving parts between SQL, IIS, Visual Studio, Report Server. I still don't fully understand how they all work together, which I'm sure is how I got where I am again. Do you think I need to reinstall the IIS Report Service, the SQL Database, or both?

Can you recommend any good books on how it all works?

Really appreciate all the help.

Thanks, MWE
dmcdowell

--
01 Apr 2004 07:41 PM
Just reinstall the web tier.

You will understand the different component very shortly and these experiences will help you be an asset to others as they get started.

Haven't read any of the books to recommend one but the Microsoft docs are very good, peruse the RS Book Online (separate from SQL Server BOL) table of contents and pick out a few areas of interest and read them thoroughly.
bclark72403

--
27 Nov 2004 03:31 PM
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the same problem.
bhoenig

--
10 Mar 2005 11:52 AM
This thread is old, but the link above helped me resolve the issue.

I ran into this problem when the windows account password was change. I believe you should only run it with either -c or -e (but not both). My environment has iis on the same machine as my SQL Server. Heres what worked for me.

c:\>rsconfig -c -sMyServerName -dReportServer -awindows -uDomain\Account -pMyPassword
Vette95

--
13 May 2005 12:22 PM
I would recommend "The Hitchhikers Guide to Reporting Services", it has en entire chapter devoted to installations in many different environments.

Acceptable Use Policy
---