Imported DTS package cannot be edited

Last Post 15 Nov 2007 05:13 AM by SQLUSA. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
eolivera

--
22 Oct 2007 07:55 AM
I am converting a SQL 2000 server to 2005 and I have imported the DTS packages from 2000 by using an IS process to copy them from one msdb to the other. Some of these packages, at least the ones that I checked so far are not opening without errors. They give me an error that they can't be edited because I might not have the DTS editor. I recently imported another one, this time via a structured file, and this one is opening without problems. This last one I can edit and run without a single error. I had an issue before with one that had a space at the end but have since deleted it. Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution to it?
Thanks,
Ed
eolivera

--
22 Oct 2007 10:28 AM
The errors that I get are the following:

First:

Error Source : Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package
Error Description : The DTS host failed to load or save the package properly.

Second:

The selected package connot be opened. The DTS Designer has been closed.

Third:

SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer components are required to edit DTS packages. Install the special Web download, “SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components” to use this feature.
(Microsoft.SqlServer.DtsObjectExplorerUI)

The bug is described in Bug#: 345170 and I did edit Sqlwb.exe.manifest as they suggested with no results. I am still getting errors on the older packages and I am still able to modify the last one I imported from a dts file. I tried deleting some of them and importing them from a dts file but I am getting the same error. What's curious is that I used to be able to modify them when I first imported them.

Ed
SQLUSA

--
15 Nov 2007 05:13 AM
You can download the DTS designer for SQL Server 2005 from microsoft.com. It is Free.

Save the DTS as structured file prior to import?

Make sure you change it at the appropriate points....

Sooner or later it is time to move it into SSIS......

Any issue?

Kalman Toth
SQL Server 2005 Training - http://www.sqlusa.com/ssis/

Acceptable Use Policy
---