reporting service installation

Last Post 02 Dec 2010 06:48 AM by xcao. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
xcao

--
01 Dec 2010 11:35 AM

We need to install sql server 2005 on a new computer for example sql2. We currently have an exiting one called sql1 without reporting service installed.

After the new server installation, then I will apply service pack 3, and restore databases,  Then we will turn off sql1, and rename the new server to sql1.

My question is about reporting service.

Shall I install reporting service on the new server after or before rename server?
 I searched it may have problems with reporting service after renaming the server.

So I think it may be better to install sql server reporting service after I rename server.

But then reporting service is not SP3, correct?
Will that work?

Thanks

russellb

--
02 Dec 2010 02:22 AM
I would install RS after the rename, then apply SP3. Easier that way with name resolution.
xcao

--
02 Dec 2010 04:43 AM

So do you mean the following order?

Install sql server first, restore databases, rename server, then install IIS and Reporting service, Last apply service pack 3.

Or is it better to

install sql server, Apply Service pack 3, restore databases, rename server, install IIS areporting service, then apply SP3 again to sql server reporting instance.

I never did service pack only to sql reporting service before. Not sure what will happen

Thanks

russellb

--
02 Dec 2010 06:12 AM
I would
1. Install SQL
2. Install RS
3. Apply SP3
4. Restore DBs
5. Rename Server

SP3 to RS only is easy...no big deal, but I'd do it in order stated above anyway.

After renaming SQL Server, make sure to set SPNs accordingly.
rm

--
02 Dec 2010 06:25 AM
You can install sql and RS at same time, just check both in installation options.
xcao

--
02 Dec 2010 06:48 AM
Thank you.

I searched a little bit on line, it seems there is some problem with reporting service after rename the server.
By rename the server, the reporting service no  longer works, I will take some steps to fix that.

That's why I plan to install SSRS after renaming the server. And some people suggest me to do this too.

What you mean by set SPNS accordingly, is there a document about how to do that?

Also the server we move to will be a virtual servr.

Thank you

Acceptable Use Policy
---