Kill session

Last Post 18 Aug 2010 12:10 PM by sql-tips. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
sql-tips

--
17 Aug 2010 11:06 AM
I killed one session. It is in rollback status. When I execute kill on the same spid, it shows rollback is in progress takes 67765 seconds. Is there any way, I can kill faster. Will stopping and starting SQL Service kill this process? I am worried sql service may not start because of this process, or just wait until rollback finishes.
gunneyk

--
17 Aug 2010 03:03 PM
If it is taking that long due to a rollback then stopping and restarting will just make the process take longer. A rollback takes as long as it needs to take and that will be the same time if you restart it plus all the other stuff that has to happen with a restart.
russellb

--
17 Aug 2010 03:31 PM
As Gunney said, you just have to wait at this point. The only possibility at this point is if it was a ditributed query, you might try killing it on the other server too. Other than that, nothing to do but wait. Restarting SQL Service may do worse than make it take longer -- it might corrupt the database.

By the way, what was going on that was taking 18+ hours to happen?
sql-tips

--
18 Aug 2010 12:10 PM
Thanks guys for your response. There was delete statement with Millions of records and that was blocking with other processes. I killed other processes too which were blocking and waited this process to rollback. finally, it rolled back completed.

Acceptable Use Policy
---