Problems with SQL Server Configuration Manager

Last Post 29 Jun 2009 08:19 AM by lancelugo. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
trans53

--
10 Jun 2008 06:05 PM
Hi all,

i am having some problems with SQL Server Configuration Manager.

SQL Server 2005 x64 SP2 Build 3228 installed on Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition Service Pack 2.

The first problem is when i try to add some value to the Startup parameters for MSSQLSERVER service i get
"WMI Provider Error. The server threw an exception. [0x80010105]". I can't find any other messages related to this error.

and second problem is i am not able to restart sql service or sql agent from SQL Server Configuration Manager.
It's just simply not doing anything.

The only way i can restart sql services is from Services.
Is there anything that i am missing?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
SQLUSA

--
11 Jun 2008 12:18 AM
Are you doing this as sysadmin?

Any other log messages?

Kalman Toth - Database, Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Architect
SQL Server 2005 Training, SSAS, SSIS, SSRS: http://www.sqlusa.com/
trans53

--
11 Jun 2008 07:16 AM
Yes, i am doing this as sysadmin.

I got around error messages by first restarting services using Surface Area Configuration tool and then using SQL Configuration Manager and problem is gone.
lancelugo

--
29 Jun 2009 08:19 AM
Thanks for the post, I was having the exact same issue, and i was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the issue was. We have a 2 node cluster and after about 4 hours or so the passive node would come up and I would check the event log and see "failed log in for user xxxx" and I knew that I had put the account password in properly each time.

Apparently with a Clustered environment (per Microsoft) you need to provide the password through SQL configuration manager for the password to stick, doing it through Services.msc does not stick.

So this was a life saver for me. Thanks again

Acceptable Use Policy
---