Instance Names

Last Post 21 Oct 2009 05:43 AM by dale123. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
DRVLIET

--
19 Oct 2009 12:55 PM
Working for a retail chain, I have different vendors 'creating' Express databases for their products we sell and each use an instance name reflecting the name of their company. I would like to create aliases for each 'instance name' and point them to different databases under one instance.

Can someone direct me to a good source?

Thanks.
dale123

--
20 Oct 2009 08:50 AM
I'm not sure i follow you.

Each company creates a new instance of SQL Server Express for each product?
Where? on your server??

Or each comapany creates a new database for each product?
How are the databases currently accesed? and how do you want to change it?
DRVLIET

--
20 Oct 2009 09:22 AM
Each company, such as a paint distributer in one case, creates a program for paint mixures using SQL Express and then gives us, the reseller, the program (with db) when we agree to sell their product. It's like a value added service. Next I have a cabinet company that does the same, builds a program using SQL Express (each are at their own site, independent of each other) and gives us the program and db to use for design/cost purposes. One, if installed, would be dbserver1\paintinstance the other would be; dbserver1\cabinetinstance if installed independently. I have SQL Server (not Express) that I would prefer to use for both db's. (or I can use Express but would like to use one instance.) But I need the clients to think that it's looking at it's own instance. That make more sense?

Thanks.
dale123

--
21 Oct 2009 05:43 AM
Sort of, i don't see where the problem is though.

If you install one instance of SQL Server on your server and then copy all of the individual data files to the server and re-attach the databases - all in the same instance. Oroptionally back them up and restore them.

Or is it that the application is using "data source=server\Express" hard coded into the connection string??
DRVLIET

--
21 Oct 2009 11:29 AM
I believe it's hard coded. Poor development. (I am getting the 'new' edition today to try out.)

Acceptable Use Policy
---