SQL 2008 vs Access 2010

Last Post 19 Mar 2013 05:51 AM by Marc. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
Marc

--
15 Mar 2013 11:20 AM
I am new to SQL server and new to this job. Where I work we have both database products SQL 2008 and Access 2010. The programmers have created a couple of web interfaces allowing users to create their own queries and generate some canned reports like number of users or books in the last month etc. The long time admin here though is very resistant to us having the programmers do more of this type of thing. He states that SQL server 2008 isnt made to do custom queries and reports and that users dont have SQL client on their desktop so it doesnt make sense. He says seeing how all users have a copy of Acess 2010 it is better for him to pull the tables they need and import into Access and let the users create their own reports. I honestly am just starting out with SQL but I am inclined to believe this isnt quite true. If we have already created a couple of web pages where users can go and select certain fields from a table and create a query why couldnt we do more of this? Is he correct in stating that Access can do complex queries and reports but not SQL server 2008?? This is an enterprise product and I cant imagine it has less capability than Access 2010 in that regard. How many web interfaces could we create and can multiple users access these at the same time? I am pretty sure they can but not 100%. I just want to have more facts before I get into this disagreement about whether we should use SQL and the capabilites this product provides versus Access 2010.
I dont quite unerstand why he is so resistant on automating our environment even more?
Any help about this would be greatly appreciated.
PS. neither of us are DBA, but I am in my first online course and trying to learn all I can.
I sincerely appreciate any advice on this matter
thanks
Marc
gunneyk

--
15 Mar 2013 05:00 PM
Marc, As with anythign there are pro's & cons to both tools. Access is sort of like a general purpose db / gui user interface. It does OK for smaller data sets and will never scale to the extent SQL Server can. However not all applications need such scale. It is also not as robust as SQL Server either. But it does allow users to create reports and queries suing the built in tools fairly easily. SQL Server does not have any built in gui similar to Access that does the reporting and such. It does have a tool called SQL Server Management Studio that is a gui tool but is more for maintaing and querying the data and database. Depending on the Edition of SQL Server there is a report builder and reporting capabilities that are very rosbust and feature rich called Reporting Services. You can create custom reports that the users can hit thru the web or intranet. If this si a simple database then why not create web pages that access SQL server that the end users can run when ever they want? But the bottom line is it is hard to say for sure which is best for your env without knowing more about what you have, what licenses, what the ultimate goals are etc. The thing is SQL Server will continue to scale and is used for all types of applications all over the world evey day. So what ever you want to do it is feasable with SQL Server. Having said that it may be overkill if you are only talking a few tables and a handful of rows of data. But if the data is already in a SQL Server database and it will stay there I see no need to copy the data to Access where you will just have to constantly keep it up to date. I would have a look here for more details on what SQL Server has and can do for you. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqls...fault.aspx
Marc

--
19 Mar 2013 05:51 AM
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I will look into the link. I bought a couple SQL 2008 books so going through those now to learn more. We have several dozen tables with tens of thousands of records, some over 100K. This system also interfaces with 2 other systems not on site which I think is very important in regards to Access and users. I found the SSRS and it looks like this is teh ticket another important fact is the developers are completely on board with moving away from Access as well as management.
Thanks again!
Marc

Acceptable Use Policy
---