Very strange situation - two databases

Last Post 31 Jan 2011 05:14 AM by gunneyk. 7 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
river1

--
30 Jan 2011 08:12 AM
Hi masters,

I have a very strange situation in my company.

Ower apps are tested to work in windows server 2003 32 bits with SQL Server 2005 SP3.

One of ower clients installed a new server with w2k8 R2 64 bits and installed SQL Server 2005 sp3.

When we restore one of ower databases on that server, it does not work. We need to remove the configurations of the NIC (give other  IP address, other gaitway and other subnetmask ) for the database to function.
It's like if it is a problem from the network of the client, because if we remove the configurations of the NIC that were sent by the DHCP of the client, everything is right....

BUT when we install other database (with a smaller size) every thing is ok.... even with the NIC having the definitions of the DHCP of the client...

Do you master have any ideia of why this can be happening?

Thank you.
gunneyk

--
30 Jan 2011 11:50 AM
What do you mean by it doesnt work? Is there an error generated? If so what is it? The NIC configuration should not have an affect on if a particular database in SQL Server works or not. Either the communication is correct or its not.
river1

--
30 Jan 2011 11:45 PM
error:

Timeout expired: The time as expired before the operation as completed, or the server is not respondind...

This is what we receive from one of ower apps, when it connects to the server and executes some code.

If we remode the server from this network and put it on other network, it wil work just fine and all apps will connect to it and execute code with no problem.

My client says that CISCO as been on the company making some changes to the router, don't know if this can affect any thing.

Do you master have any ideia?
river1

--
30 Jan 2011 11:47 PM
The thing that is more strange is that if we put a database with less size in that server, on that network, all applications work just fine. It simes like the size is a problem in this case...
gunneyk

--
31 Jan 2011 05:05 AM
It sounds like you are scanning the tables and it is simply taking longer than the timeout period. Have you looked at the queries they are trying to run to see what they are doing? Have you traced these calls?
river1

--
31 Jan 2011 05:07 AM
Master gunneyk, but when i put the big database in other machine taht is not connected to the domain, it does not give any error...
river1

--
31 Jan 2011 05:08 AM
The same query in a server (with exact same hardware) that is not on the domain runs the query in sconds, the other takes minutos.
gunneyk

--
31 Jan 2011 05:14 AM
then you must have an issue with the network. If you run that same query from SSMS on the server itself and it takes only a few seconds but times out when you run it remotely there is an issue with the network.

Acceptable Use Policy
---