ugrading SQL6.5 to SQL2K

Last Post 28 Apr 2006 02:24 AM by CT Seah. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
CT Seah

--
21 Apr 2006 12:25 AM
I have set up a SQL 2K on another new machine with sp4 call NewServer.

I have an SQL 6.5 machine call OldServer, I am not sure of the SQL Service Pack level yet.

When I go to the SQL2K machine and run the ugrade wizard, the system says that the export server which is OldServer cannot be found.

Does anybody know whether this is due to SQL 6.5 Service Pack level not up to date ?

I could ping the OldServer from NewServer without any problem.

Please advise.
CT Seah

--
23 Apr 2006 07:38 PM
I will use the domain account and put this user as a local administrator on both servers.

Do I need to use this domain account to start the mssql service ??
CT Seah

--
24 Apr 2006 12:00 AM
I am hitting this error "couldn't create or register the SQLUPGRADE DSN !" during the upgrade.

I searched the notes and was asked to applied the hotfix for sql 2k sp4.

After applying the hotfix... the error still persisted despite having restarted the server and re-applying the hotfix.

One thing is that I am not sure how to change the service account to be a domain account in SQL6.5 for MSSQL service. Could you also advise on that. Thanks

CT Seah

--
26 Apr 2006 03:21 AM
Hi ,

I have reinstalled the SQL 2K with SP 3a and managed to by-pass this error "couldn't create or register the SQLUPGRADE DSN !"

The upgrade process is gaining progress... but I realise that the master and msdb were not available for me to bring over.

That is to say my user accounts and roles & permissions and jobs could not be brought over right ?

How to address this problem ??

Regards
CT Seah

--
27 Apr 2006 03:03 AM

During the upgrade the list of inclusion/exclusion of databases did not include option for me to select the msdb and the master databases.

However I could see from the upgrade processing screen that the msdb and the master were also being upgraded.

Apart from some warnings and errors which may or may not be significant, all went fine.

When I go to the my newserver after the upgrade process, I could see all users, roles, and permission there quite beautifully. Anybody surprised users, roles and permission also when over without any problem? All this while I thought this was not possible and I have to manually script them over. Please comment.

There is one addition database "SQL7UPgrade" in my newserver after the upgrade. Any idea what is this ? Why not SQL2000upgrade ? Should I be concerned of this and can I or should I delete this database ??

Thanks and hope you an advise further.
CT Seah

--
28 Apr 2006 02:24 AM

I am not awared whether there is any special data.
Can you give me some clue of that question you are asking so that I can check with my application colleague.

Come across that after the upgrade there is such a database called "sql7upgrade" ?

Regards

Acceptable Use Policy
---