export data to dbf file or Dbase database

Last Post 26 Apr 2006 06:14 PM by cmdr_jpskywalker. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
natasha

--
26 Apr 2006 08:27 AM
How can I export data from MSSQL to a DBF file? Any Ideas? I am able to run the package but not popuating the destination file. If I run the query by itself I do see the results. What am I missing?
Thanks for any and all help,
Nat
natasha

--
26 Apr 2006 09:57 AM
I am connecting using other(ODBC Data Source) as a dataSource and the driver used is Microsoft dBase VFP Driver (*.dbf) and in the File DSN I have specified the path. Isn't that how it is done? I have not used this in a long time. Basically I have a sql server connection > data pump to odbc data source and am using query with global parameters to export the data in the transform data task
Thanks,
Nat
natasha

--
26 Apr 2006 10:38 AM
it is not a permission issue. I am logged on as SA. Any other ideas? And I am the creator of the package and am running on the server.
Thanks,
Nat
natasha

--
26 Apr 2006 12:51 PM
Thank you all. I am still using other ODBC connection and it is working. The only thing I changed is the driver "Driver db Microsoft dBase(*.dbf). I am also using glabal parameters in the package. However, once I runt he package from command line and then if I run again passing different parameters with \A
switch and not specifying \V "Guid" of the package it defaults to the original variables. Any ideas? Interestingly if I run using DTSRUNUI results are correct.
Thanks again,
Nat
cmdr_jpskywalker

--
26 Apr 2006 06:14 PM
how to do you run the DTS, through job or EntMgr? are you running against a client/server environment or standalone?
natasha

--
27 Apr 2006 06:02 AM
Running it from the command line since I am still testing it. Going to run as a standalone. However, I am going to call it from tsql using xp_cmdshell. Why does it not accept/modify the values of parameters when I am clearly inputing it in my command line. Silly thing goes back to original value that was entered as a parameters while designing.

Here is the command I execute from cmd line:

DTSRUN /S "(LOCAL)" /N "Testing" /A 'test1":8"Test" /A "test2":8"Testy" /W "0" /E

This should work unless I am missing something.
Thanks Nat
natasha

--
27 Apr 2006 06:26 AM
Yes the datatype is correct.
What do you mean by DTS HAS those global vars already or no?

You have to assign some default values when you design the package for global variables. So I have assign it the values for parameter1 and parameter2.

Nat
natasha

--
27 Apr 2006 07:04 AM
it is definately a typo while typing the command:
here is the actual command that I am executing:
DTSRun /S "(local)" /N "Testng"
/A "Test1":"8"="Test"
/A "Test2":"8"="Testy" /W "0" /E

I am also aware that global variable names are case sensitive.

What do you mean by DTS will create it on the fly. Does that mean I do nto have to assign default value to GV?
Thanks for all your help,
Nat
natasha

--
27 Apr 2006 08:07 AM
Thank you all for the help. Actually it is working now. Event though I was aware that GV's are case sensitive I was not paying close attention while executing the command. Now that this part is working any ideas how to go about if I have to pass the parameters for gazzillion different combination and generate files where file extension will reflect the name suffix with combinatin.
eg: test_01_02 or Test_05_80 etc... and am also planning to automate this if possible. I do not even know if this is the correct approach or not.
Thanks,
Nat

Acceptable Use Policy
---