Need Help to project disk usage over time

Last Post 21 Jul 2005 03:55 AM by Rhinodba. 0 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
Rhinodba

--
21 Jul 2005 03:55 AM
I am tracking disk space usage for my company. Basically, I capture space used and free space with a little custom WMI tool, of all of our servers by device, and drive into a SQL Server database. I created a small OLAP DB and Cube with dimensions of time and disk space. I have a nice little excel pivot chart that connects to the cube and displays the items we want to see and a calculated member displaying % free.

1) I would like to know if any one can help me in how to take the raw data that I have and be able to use analysis services to "estimate" our disk growth in say 30, 60, 90 days etc. in the future so that we know when we need to increase space before it becomes a problem.

2) Would I use the MDX builder to do this? I think I need a "Calculated Member" ?

3) What formula should I use? I was thinking: Monthly Growth Rate = (Space used at end of date range - Space used and begining of date range) / Number of months. I'm not sure. This seems like it would calculate how much we have grown, not how much we will grow based on collected data.

Thanks

RhinoDBA

Acceptable Use Policy
---