Query Parallel Tables

Last Post 04 Sep 2009 01:09 AM by SQLUSA. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
hopeful

--
19 Jun 2009 11:52 AM
I'm acquiring a mailing list with over 1,000,000 records, in over 50 CSV files (by state, I think). I expect to be modifying the list myself -- adding fields, adding & changing records -- as well as periodically acquiring updates from the original source. I'll be using a remote SQL Server 2000, accessing it either by web programming or my local SQL Server Management Studio.

I have 2 questions.

1) Am I better off dumping all the data into one huge SQL Server table, or having a table for each CSV file?

2) If I use 50 parallel tables, how do I structure a query to look at the same field in the different parallel tables -- in other words, that would create a virtual table that would combine the data from the parallel tables, so that I could then filter by the Annual_Sales field, for example, and have it look at this field in all the separate tables as a collective?

(Occasionally I've had other situations where I wanted to deal with parallel tables, so I'd appreciate an answer to the second question even if you think 50 parallel tables are unnecessary and nuts.)

Thank you!
SQLUSA

--
04 Sep 2009 01:09 AM
As gunneyk indicated, single table solution is the best.

You can use DTS (SQL Server 2000) packages to do the ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) tasks.

Kalman Toth, SQL Server 2008 Training
http://www.sqlusa.com

Acceptable Use Policy
---