Many enities have same requirement

Last Post 09 Aug 2006 07:48 AM by GoldenGal. 3 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
GBPhilip

--
08 Aug 2006 11:52 PM
I have 3 entities (a job request, a news summary and a news item) a news summary has many news items, but neither have a relationship to job request. Each of these 3 entities need to be authorised before further processing. The date and who authorised is required. A job request has to be authorised by 2 people, the 2 other entities require only one authorisation. I was thinking of storing the authorisation in a separate table, but I am struggling into how to link it to the 3 entities. I also wish to allow for more entities being authorised in future.

Any help much apprecaited.
GoldenGal

--
09 Aug 2006 07:48 AM
I have a question for you: what exactly is a job request in your world, can you define it for me, please? At any time, does a job request ever become a news summary or a news item?

I'll check back in a little while, and based on your answers to my questions, we'll go from there.
GBPhilip

--
09 Aug 2006 08:36 AM
A job request at no time can turn into a news item or news summary.
At work we have projects on the go that I am involved in and this struck me as similar, and I am wondering if if in the database I can get some reuse.

A brief overview
If a person thinks there is a vacancy then they send a job request to HR for approval before advertising. Once approval is given the job advert can be developed. The request holds details such as why there is a vacancy, does the area have the budget etc.

The news summary, news items, are when people want to put some news relating to their area on the company's intranet/internet each one has to be approved.

If it makes any difference at the moment the only place jobs are advertised are on the company's intranet/internet. Information stored regarding jobs - is different to that of news items
SQLUSA

--
10 Aug 2006 01:10 PM
It does make sense to have an entity devoted to Authorization. Here is an idea:

table AuthorizationType (AuthorizationTypeID, Entity, ....)

table Authorization(AuthorizationID, AuthorizationType, IDofEntity, Sig1Time, Sig2Time.....)

Kalman Toth, Database, Data Warehouse and BI Architect
http://www.sqlusa.com
The Best SQL Server 2005 Training in the World

Acceptable Use Policy
---