ODBC Confirmation

Last Post 15 Mar 2005 12:43 PM by PaulMcKibben. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
PaulMcKibben

--
15 Mar 2005 10:24 AM
I would like someone to confirm that if a SQL ODBC data source is to log in with SQL Server authentication and the user id is Administrator, that the user is the SQL built in administrator account.

Correct?

Thank you.
PaulMcKibben

--
15 Mar 2005 12:43 PM
I understand that in an ODBC, you need to enter a user-id and password.

I was reviewing the ODBC definitions on our servers and found several that had the user id of administrator and are using SQL Server authentication. That lead me to believe that it could be using the SQL builtin administrator and not the domain adminstrator account.

From your reply, am I correct in understanding that the administrator user-id is the domain admin account?

thank you.
Ado_SQL

--
15 Mar 2005 10:38 PM
Check out this site for various flavours of connection strings.

If the administrator userid is of type windows user then it may be the domain administrator or it may be an account called administrator if the administration rights have been removed. If it is of type standard, then it may or may not be an administrative account of the name administrator.

rm is correct in saying the default admin account is sa for sql authentication whereas in windows it ia administrator, which may be a member of the builtin/administrators group unless things have been chosen otherwise.

HTH

Acceptable Use Policy
---