Does anybody know some 3-party schedule tools

Last Post 04 Jan 2005 04:43 AM by Markus_SQL. 6 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
ufohj

--
27 Oct 2004 06:42 AM
Does anybody know some 3-party schedule tools(except MS windows scheduler task, MS sql job)

The tools should schedule different jobs, such VB, VBs, SQL, windows.
If jobs fail, tools can send alert or e-mail...

Thanks.
Markus_SQL

--
13 Dec 2004 04:44 AM
Control M by BMC.
kohli290866

--
28 Dec 2004 12:49 PM
Just curious ... why would you need be using SQL Server Agent to do
the Scheduled task. I am not aware of anything that it cannot perform,
that a 3rd Party Product is needed. The only reason I can think of is
the company/group you are in has SURPLUS BUDGET for the year.

Thanks.
pyale

--
03 Jan 2005 03:30 PM
Well, let's start with job dependencies. e.g. don't start Job B unless job A completes successfully (or just completes, successfully or not). Then there are run-time windows - if a job hasn't finished within a certain time slot, either send an alert or terminate it. There are plenty of things that SQLServer Agent can't do, or only does in a basic fashion, and for which 3rd-party products are far superior. It really isn't a question of luxury budgets. (sigh)

I've come across Control-M before, but found it very difficult to use (job names were restricted to 8 characters), plus a number of other restrictions which could have been down to the way our support centre at that time had chosen to implement it.

My personal favourite is AutoSys (www.cai.com) , which I find extremely flexible and reliable.
Markus_SQL

--
04 Jan 2005 03:33 AM
For this year I have been asked to change SQL Server jobs to be scheduled through Control-M. Some of the reasons are that we have so many servers now no one can keep track or know what is running anytime of the day or night. We also, sometimes have dependencies on different platforms that cannot be scheduled though SS Agent.. DB2, Oracle, etc...

We used to have AUTOSYS but when we upgraded the mainframe CA held a gun to our head for that and the Mainframe DB2 DBA tools so we got rid of them.

The one thing I wish SS Agent had was job dependencies also. If I have 8 different dbs in different DB Maint plans I have to schedule via time every one... I would like to say start backup of DB #1 at 6 PM then run each of the other 7 one after another instead of saying.. start at 6:15, start at 6:30.... etc... OR in one db plan run db backup at 8 pm then after that on Sunday only run the db integrity check... Maybe in SS 2005 !
pyale

--
04 Jan 2005 04:34 AM
That's exactly what I was involved in last year. How are you finding cutting down the autosys job name to 8 characters? (Or was that a limitation we imposed on ourselves somehow?)
Markus_SQL

--
04 Jan 2005 04:43 AM
I am not sure, however, on a mainframe you are limited to 8 characters for a jobname.

Acceptable Use Policy
---