Perfmon logging to SQL Server

Last Post 10 Sep 2004 07:37 AM by bigelectricmac. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
bigelectricmac

--
09 Sep 2004 04:19 PM
Hi ~

Does anyone know of good articles on how Perfmon logs to SQL Server? Its new in XP and Windows 2003 and it looks like a great way of monitoring our production SQL Servers.

Thanks!
bigelectricmac

--
10 Sep 2004 07:37 AM
I'm hoping to get help me identify some values that PerfMon is collecting. Where I'm running into problems is trying to identify what some of the values mean that are being recorded under the table CounterData. Here's the table definition:

CREATE TABLE [CounterData] (
[GUID] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL ,
[CounterID] [int] NOT NULL ,
[RecordIndex] [int] NOT NULL ,
[CounterDateTime] [char] (24) NOT NULL ,
[CounterValue] [float] NOT NULL ,
[FirstValueA] [int] NULL ,
[FirstValueB] [int] NULL ,
[SecondValueA] [int] NULL ,
[SecondValueB] [int] NULL ,
[MultiCount] [int] NULL ,
PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(
[GUID],
[CounterID],
[RecordIndex]
) ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]

For two of the counter types we are collecting (Processor: % processor time and Memory: Pages/sec) non-zero values are being recorded in FirstValueA and B as well as SecondValueA and B. I'm trying to aggregate the data from 30 second time slices to hourly averages to report off of. I'm not sure what values are being stored in these four attributes and whether they have any value in an aggregate record or report. Should I only worry about values from CounterValue attribute for the aggregation? I've searched the web and the help files for definitions of what these values represent for both measures in question and haven't come up with anything. Anyone know where I can find additional information on what Perfmon is collecting and storing for these measures that it writes to the CounterData table?
bigelectricmac

--
20 Sep 2004 07:48 AM

Acceptable Use Policy
---