Upgrade Advisor reported problems

Last Post 29 Nov 2008 05:26 AM by Lee. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
trans53

--
21 May 2008 05:52 PM
Hi all,

After Upgrade Advisor was done analyzing the server 2 warnings where issued for Before and 1 for After.
I am not sure what i need to do for the first 2 for sure since i checked and there are no packages stored under Meta Data Services Packages and all DTS packages on this server stored in SQL Server.

When i open "Show affected objects" all i get is this:

Source Type: MSDB
Package Location: TEST3\TEST3
Instances: 1

Is this something i need to worry about?
Also, for the After what exactly do i need to do?

Thanks

Before:
1) Existing Meta Data Services packages should be moved to SQL Server storage (in the msdb database) or to structured storage files before you upgrade. SQL Server 2005 does not install support for SQL Server 2000 Meta Data Services; therefore the Package Migration Wizard will be unable to access Meta Data Services packages after upgrade in the absence of the SQL Server 2000 Client Tools.

2) You can use SQL Server 2005 tools to edit your existing DTS packages. However, upgrading or uninstalling the last instance of SQL Server 2000 on a computer removes the components required to support this feature. You can retain or restore these components by installing the special Web download, "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components", before or after you upgrade or uninstall SQL Server 2000.

After:
3) The SQL Server 2005 Integration Services (SSIS) Package Migration Wizard does not migrate complex Data Transformation tasks in SQL Server 2000 Data Transformation Services (DTS) packages. The migrated package will contain encapsulated DTS functionality that must eventually be removed or redesigned.

trans53

--
24 May 2008 02:13 PM
Thank you RM,

Do i need to worry about MSDB even if i do side-by-side upgrade?
Lee

--
29 Nov 2008 05:26 AM
May also be worth checking out Scalability's "Upgrade Assistant" as well; a very cool tool for running trace replay workloads from the old server to the new environment, regardless of migration or upgrade

Scalability Experts SQL Server Upgrade Assistant

www.texastoo.com

Acceptable Use Policy
---