Adding Replication to an existing SQL instance

Last Post 23 Mar 2009 11:19 AM by soxfanjim. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
tsterzin

--
22 Aug 2008 08:25 AM
I have an existing default instance of SQL Server 2005 Standard Ed. version 9.2.3042. As you can see it has been patched with service pack 2. When I try to add the Replication from the original 32 bit setup disk 1 the System Configuration Check gives the Edition Change Check warning. When I proceed to add the replication feature to the existing instance the Existing Components screen of the Setup Wizard says that he feature is already installed. (it isn’t) When I click on the details button I get this message:

Name: Microsoft SQL Server 2005
Reason: Your upgrade is blocked. For more information about upgrade support, see the "Version and Edition Upgrades" and "Hardware and Software Requirements" topics in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

Build version check:
Your upgrade is blocked because the existing component is a later version than the version you are trying to upgrade to. To modify an existing SQL Server component, go to Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, select the component you would like to modify, and then click Change/Remove.

So my guess it that I need a full version setup disk with service pack 2 but even with my MSDN subscription I can’t find one.
I installed SQL 2005 with the least permissions and now my business needs have evolved to require this feature. I can’t believe that I have to uninstall SQL from a production machine only to reinstall it from scratch with this feature and then patch it again.
Someone please tell me where I’m going wrong.
tsterzin

--
22 Aug 2008 02:20 PM
Yes. I have done it this way too. It asks for the location of the media and I end up pointing it back to the original installation disk.

Is there some other way?
soxfanjim

--
23 Mar 2009 11:19 AM
File this under Better Late Than Never....

I had the same issue and nearly gave up after several days. Ultimately what worked was installing a second instance of SQL Server with Replication components on the same box, then going through Control Panel to change the default instance. I was able to install the Replication components successfully. I could then create a publication. But, the resulting snapshot agent job failed with an error: "job <xyz> cannot be run because the Snapshot subsystem failed to load".

So I had to run this:
use msdb
go
delete from msdb.dbo.syssubsystems
exec msdb.dbo.sp_verify_subsystems 1
go

Then restart SQL Agent.

Now everything seems to be working. I have not uninstalled or otherwise altered the second, named instance, but will do that when I get the chance to see if replication on the default instance still works.

Acceptable Use Policy
---