Problems transferring encrypted user passwords from SQL Server 7.0 to 2000

Last Post 26 Jul 2004 01:26 PM by amitshahcorp. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
amitshahcorp

--
06 Jan 2004 01:25 PM
Hi All:

I have a database that stores user login and password information as a part of its design. The passwords however are encrypted in the server (SQL Server 7.0). When I attempted to transfer the entire database over to SQL Server 2000, the encrypted passwords it seems get corrupted and people who access the database from the front-end have problems logging in.

Can anyone tell me how to rectify this problem.

Many thanks
AVS Developer
AspiringGeek

--
06 Jan 2004 03:39 PM
I think I read recently about a way to get through this in an appropriate way--but I don't recall the details.

I'll tell you how I fixed it when I had a similar problem going from one SQL Server 2000 box to another (hopefully this would work from SQL 7 to 2K).

I used sp_configure 'allow updates' and simply updated the destination password field in SysLogins, linking to the original on SID, then disabled updates.

It was one of those four a.m. fixes that did the job without having to re-set dozens of production passwords.

(BTW, I think I might read somewhere once that Microsoft doesn't recommend updating system tables.)
jorge.rivera

--
06 Jan 2004 04:06 PM
Hi... I guess the problem is caused for some cause in relation with a sort order

there a little change in respect to data stored in the tables, comparassion and migration from sql 7 to sql 2000, you can review some like that..

if you reset the password in the restored database you can access using the front end ???...
if the answer is yes, then you need reset all passwords....

try this:
case 1 : reset the password to other diferent password
case 2 : reset the password to mantian the same password

If the second test is ok, then the problem is the fields type and the sort order
satya

--
11 Jan 2004 11:56 PM
You may also refer to this KBA about moving passwords and this WindowsMag link about security collections.

hth
amitshahcorp

--
26 Jul 2004 01:26 PM
I still do not have a clear solution in sight. Can someone help me?
Amit Shah

Acceptable Use Policy
---