Transaction Log Error

Last Post 29 May 2008 10:44 PM by SQLUSA. 7 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
kmcnet

--
28 May 2008 09:43 AM
Hello everyone and thanks for your help in advance. I am encountering an error with a SQL Server 2000 database. When trying to write through a web application, I receive the error Transaction Log is full. In looking at the database,the transaction log (LDF) file is nearly 4 times that of the MDF file. Because of this, I am running out of disk space. I have read some articles regarding this topic, but can't seem to find one definitive source as to how to rectifify this problem (for example, do I need to TRUNCATE the log or does backing up the databse fix this issue?). I currently have the database allowing unrestricted growth to the transaction log, but don't know the ramifications of selecting a smaller size. Or do I simply need to add more disk space? Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
kmcnet

--
28 May 2008 12:22 PM
Thanks for the response. I guess I am confused. Within the Management Snap-in, I highlight the database and select "back up". I am assuming this backs up everything including the transaction log. However, this does not seem to reduce the size of the transaction log after the back up. Am I missing something in the process? Or do I need to use Transact SQL in order to back up only the transaction log? Then keep a copy of the log separately and truncate it?
nosepicker

--
28 May 2008 01:57 PM
Yes, performing a backup like you described (a "complete" or "full" backup) will backup everything, including the transaction log. But that will not clear out the transactions from the log. Performing a transaction log backup will backup the transactions and clear them out from the log. You don't need T-SQL to do that - you should have that option available to you in Enterprise Manager if the database is in full or bulk-logged recovery mode. If it's in simple recovery mode, you won't have the option to perform a transaction log backup.

And FYI, doing a transaction log backup won't shrink the size of the physical log file. You'll need to perform a shrink file operation to do that (which can be done either via Enterprise Manager or a T-SQL command).
kmcnet

--
29 May 2008 10:39 AM
Thanks for the response, however, I must be doing something wrong. Within enterprise Manager, I highlighted "All Tasks" and selected "Backup Database". Once in that section, I selected "Transaction Log". Under Options, I made sure "Remove inactive entries from transaction log" was checked. I then selected "OK". The back ran for approximately 18 hours, far longer than a trypical full backup operation. Once done, I then highlighted the database and selected "Shrink Database", which seems to have been performed successfully. However, neither the LDF or MDF changed in size. I am working under the assumption that this would actually shrink the physical size of the files and free up some space. Any idea what the issue is?
kmcnet

--
29 May 2008 05:42 PM
Already tried that. didn't work. Am I correct in assuming that once I do the shrink operation, the file size should appear smaller?
kmcnet

--
29 May 2008 05:49 PM
I selected "Shrink Database" and took the default which is "Compress pages and then truncate free space from the file". Do I need to actually specify the file size and what is a good size to use?
SQLUSA

--
29 May 2008 10:44 PM

CONTENT REMOVED
kmcnet

--
30 May 2008 03:39 PM
Looks like I had an application locking the database. Once I stopped it, the resizing worked well. Thanks for the help.

Acceptable Use Policy
---