SQL Installation

Last Post 04 Feb 2013 07:03 AM by Marc. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
Marc

--
31 Jan 2013 10:04 AM
Is it a best practice when installing SQL 2008 that you have teh log files ina separate LUN from the data files?
I have the tempdb in a separate LUN but not entirely sure about the log files. I have ben told that you should but also told not too by others. Can anyone tell me what the best practice is regarding configuration of log files in SQL during installation?
thanks
Marc
rm

--
31 Jan 2013 10:13 AM
Yes, better to set that way because sql accesses log files in different way from data files.
gunneyk

--
01 Feb 2013 08:29 AM
What rm said and that also includes the tempdb log file as well.
Marc

--
01 Feb 2013 12:43 PM
Thanks guys
I am new to SQL and have been tasked with several different things regarding deployment and installation.
I have migrated our databases over to the new system though it is not online as of yet for other reasons.
Seems like the log files for some of the databases are pretty large a few over 400 GB. Is there an easy way to reduce the size? I tried the shrink database maintenance task I created but that really didnt do anything.
Thanks for the help!
Marc
gunneyk

--
01 Feb 2013 06:08 PM
Use DBCC SHRINKFILE and specify the proper log file. If they are that large check to see why. If you are in FULL or BULKLOGGED recovery mode then you need to do regular transaction log backups or the log will keep growing. If you don't need Full recovery then set it to SIMPLE. Check BooksOnLine for more iinfo on both.
Marc

--
04 Feb 2013 07:03 AM
Thanks gentlemen!
I fond the DBCC ShrinkFile command and reading up on that now. You are correct we are in Full Recovery mode and apparently there have been no TLog backups done for quite some time. I sincerely appreciate the advice and believe I am on the right track to taking care of this and learning as I go.
thanks again
Marc

Acceptable Use Policy
---