Developing for SQL Express 2008 R2 with SQL 2008 R2 Developer Edition

Last Post 15 Oct 2012 04:21 AM by Paul Novelli. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
Paul Novelli

--
03 Oct 2012 06:54 PM
We are currently using SQL Express 2008 R2 with the advanced features to develop an Express database that will be deployed with an application. However, we would prefer to leverage the additional features of the Developer edition (full-featured Management Studio, Profiler, etc.) for development of the Express Edition database.

Can we do this? If so, are there any special considerations we need to keep in mind? We just don't want to end up with a database that cannot be deployed as the Express Edition.
Chinatk Chhapia

--
04 Oct 2012 03:22 AM
Hi,

The simple is to install both developer and express editions. From developer edition does not install the core DB components and form express setup only install DB components.

-Chintak.
rm

--
04 Oct 2012 05:42 AM
You can connect to express from any machine with sql client tools as long as they have physical network link.
gunneyk

--
04 Oct 2012 06:39 AM
Yes as long as you are pointing the client tools at an express database instance you should not have to worry about using or developing any features that Express doesn't support but you can still take advantage of the features the tools offer.
QR_Code

--
14 Oct 2012 09:18 PM
I think it is ok. Since I used the barcode control for SQL reporting services bar code font this way.
Paul Novelli

--
15 Oct 2012 04:21 AM
Thanks. I've found this to be true. In short, the development environment is not what matters. You can create and develop in any of the SQL 2008 R2 editions and safely deploy the database to a customer's SQL 2008 R2 Express environment.

Acceptable Use Policy
---