SQL Database Administration

Last Post 29 Jan 2013 11:59 AM by gunneyk. 7 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
sqldba

--
11 Sep 2012 01:06 PM
Hi All - Does anyone know of any post or article that illustrated on how to create a secure SQL database with sensitive data that only accessible for selected users without allowing access to users with sysadmin right on the server as well as network administrators or even DBA. Thank You!
smosalak

--
09 Nov 2012 09:56 AM
when you are granting access to a SQL Server database you do not need sysadmin right, just grant "read" permission on the required database. If there is some data that should not be seen by others; create a view selecting only those columns that can be viewed and grant read access to the view.
rm

--
10 Nov 2012 12:26 PM
If you meant to stop dba from viewing your data, sorry you can't.
peter

--
03 Dec 2012 11:13 PM
Refer the below article related to secure sensitive data from network user

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...56371.aspx
DJ

--
28 Jan 2013 07:29 AM
I have a question concerning database names. Should I be concerned if a database name is extremely long? It appears that our daily backup is adding additional information to the database name. I can provide examples if it will help.
gunneyk

--
28 Jan 2013 12:39 PM
A database name can be up to 128 unicode characters long. I am not sure what you are referring to but I assume it is the file name for the resulting backup. That would be a windows limitation but I am not sure what that woudl even be. Are you using a maintenance plan for your backups?
DJ

--
28 Jan 2013 12:50 PM
I am using a maitenance plan. I've figured out how the name is derived. It contains the date and time stamp along with the name of the database. I've corrected my backups to only include the DB name. thanks very much for the quick response.;)
gunneyk

--
29 Jan 2013 11:59 AM
You might want to include at least the date so that if you want to keep multiple backup files (from more than one day etc.) you wont get duplicate file names.

Acceptable Use Policy
---