install sql 2008 r2 failed, how to uninstall it

Last Post 24 May 2012 04:59 PM by knowledge_base. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
knowledge_base

--
09 May 2012 11:52 PM
Hi,

I installed sql server 2008 r2 and it failed so I cancelled the installation. Now I want to uninstall it. I google and found the instruction to go to control panel, select Add or Remove Program then click on the components and click remove to uninstall it.
When I went to Add/Remove Program I saw that I have the list below.
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Books Online
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup
Microsoft SQL Sserver Compact 3.5 SP2 Query Tools ENU
Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer

Is there any order of removing them, does it matter which one I remove first?

Next question is when I tried to install sql server 2008 r2, I got below error message after I click Install in the Setup Support Files.

The application failed to initalize properly ()xc000005). Click OK to terminate the application.

Doe anyone know why I got this error message?

I did the stupid thing by continue the installation so now I have to uninstall it.

fyi-
I have window xp. I had sql 2000 installed in my pc before (it was just for learning purpose). I uninstalled it before I installed sql server 2008 r2.

Thanks in advance

rm

--
10 May 2012 05:53 AM
1. no specific order to remove them.
2. checked this link? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/For...x#bm828723
knowledge_base

--
16 May 2012 06:38 PM
Hi mr,

Thank you for your reply. Regarding the error message
ngen.exe-The application failed to initalize properly ()xc000005). Click OK to terminate the application.

I checked the link that you posted. Those people resolved problem by removed virus (using Panda Software to scan). I used Norton (which I already have installed) to scan
and found notthing. I also scan for spyware (using Malwarebytes) and found nothing.

Any more suggestion! Anyone!

Is it might be that I used to have sql 2000 installed? But I already removed it before I tried install sql 2008 r2. Is there any way to check if there is anything from sql2000 left in my pc. In add/remove program, there is nothing with the name sql server in my pc.
rm

--
17 May 2012 09:37 AM
Did you cleanup sql2k registry keys?
knowledge_base

--
17 May 2012 04:18 PM
no. How do I do that? Please kindly explain in detail.

Thanks
knowledge_base

--
24 May 2012 04:59 PM
Ok, I found the instruction to clean registry key from microsoft website (below).

5.Run Regedt32, and then locate this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
Under the Uninstall key, locate the product code for the instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 that you are trying to remove.

On the Taskbar, click Start, and then click Run. In the Run dialog box, copy and paste, or type, this command:

C:\WINNT\IsUninst.exe -f"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$Server1\Uninst.is" -c"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$Server1\sqlsun.dll" -Mssql.miff i=I1

But I don't understand the instruction.
1. It said to locate the product code for the instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 that you are trying to remove.
How do I know what to look for? I was able to run Regedt32 and found the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.
There're a lot of folders under Uninstall folder but I don't see anything with the name like Microsoft SQL.
2. Even if I found what I want to remove, the instruction did not say tell to remove or how to remove. It just say locate product code that you want to remove. Do I just do right click-->delete?

3. Then the next instruction (as below), what does it do? Even I could not find the product code that I want to remove in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall, do I still run the below command anyway?

On the Taskbar, click Start, and then click Run. In the Run dialog box, copy and paste, or type, this command:

C:\WINNT\IsUninst.exe -f"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$Server1\Uninst.is" -c"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$Server1\sqlsun.dll" -Mssql.miff i=I1

Thanks.

Acceptable Use Policy
---