How about a globalized text data type?

Last Post 27 May 2010 07:19 AM by Andrew Fryer. 6 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages Informative
KeyVisions

--
13 May 2010 10:21 PM
Hi all,

I have being developing web sites and intranets for the past 12 years, and a good part of them are multilingual. About a month ago I posted this in Microsoft connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/551322/how-about-globalization-aware-text-fields

The suggestion is not getting any attention at all. Along with the nice new data types, FILESTREAM and GEOGRAPHY, I think a globalized data type would make SQL Server even more Enterprise level. What do you think?

Giancarlo
(Visualize then Realize)
Sanjaykp

--
14 May 2010 06:00 AM
Use NVARCHAR. It's globalisation aware, as you put it.
KeyVisions

--
14 May 2010 06:40 AM
Sanjaykp, evidently I didn't get the message across. Writting mixed Roman, Kanji, Arabic or any other character set in a single NVARCHAR field does not exactly address my suggestion; the idea is: a data type that handles localized texts SEPARATELY at the DB Engine level.
rm

--
14 May 2010 08:57 AM
You can post it as suggestion to MS connection site.
KeyVisions

--
14 May 2010 10:08 AM

This is a classical example where a globalized text field would do just fine: "You can post it as suggestion to MS connection site"?. But, isn't that exactly what I did a month ago?

rm

--
14 May 2010 04:55 PM
Post again to get attention (-:
Andrew Fryer

--
27 May 2010 07:19 AM

Reading this thread we are still not exactly sure
a. what this is
b. what the use case for this is

but Connect is the right channel for this. Connect is a sort of democracy the more votes and the more influential the voters (you are more influential as a user than I am as an employee for example) the more chance of it happenning especially if it has a genral business justification i.e. it would be useful for everyone.  The candidate feature requests are then prioritised and the top ones are released in the next version of SQL Server.

Acceptable Use Policy
---