Reporting Services will not start

Last Post 05 Aug 2011 11:47 AM by rm. 5 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
PaulMcKibben

--
05 Aug 2011 08:06 AM
I have a SQL 2008 RS machine that won't start RS.  I get the following message when trying to start the services through RS Configuration Manager:

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service ReportServer on computer 'KRONOS-BI-P1'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start()
   at ReportServicesConfigUI.Panels.ServerInformationPanel.StartStopServiceTask(Boolean start)

The server had RS 2005 on it, and that was uninstalled and RS 2008 was installed. 

I have added a ServicesPipeTimeout registry setting of 60000, rebooted the machine, and the same reason occurred. 

The Application Event Log shows this:

Windows saved user WPSIC\Reporting-Corp registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

The System Event Log shows this:

The SQL Server Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER) service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

My understanding from the person that installed did the installation work is that the Encryption Key step was not done. 

The SQL Server that it is connecting to was not touched and is a SQL 2005 SP4 machine.  Both machines are Windows 2003 OS

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

PaulMcKibben

--
05 Aug 2011 08:20 AM

I forgot to add that both servers are Standard Edition SQL, and the RS is native mode. 

rm

--
05 Aug 2011 09:19 AM
May need connect to sql2k8.
PaulMcKibben

--
05 Aug 2011 10:21 AM
Thank you.

Does Microsoft have a site that definitively says what versions of Reporting Services can connect to and use what versions of SQL Server for the ReportServer databases?

PaulMcKibben

--
05 Aug 2011 10:43 AM
To reconfigure SSRS to use a different SQL Server for hosting ReportServer databases, requires a uninstall and reinstall of SSRS, correct?
rm

--
05 Aug 2011 11:47 AM
I changed sql server in config manager without reinstalling RS.

Acceptable Use Policy
---