Add 08 RS to existing cluster

Last Post 27 Oct 2010 01:45 PM by mddba. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
mddba

--
27 Oct 2010 09:35 AM

I'd like to add SQL 2008 Reporting Services to an existing 2008 cluster.

I'm receiving the following error:  The instance selected for installation is already installed and clustered on computer XYZ.  To continue, select a different instance to cluster.

I've tried the following:
1.  Install on passive node.
2.  Install from the command line as filesonly with the following:  setup /q /ACTION=install /FEATURES=RS /InstanceName=MSSQLSERVER /RSSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" /RSINSTALLMODE="FilesOnlyMode"
3.  Install from GUI and selecting Add features.
4.  Completely new install (failed because it wants to install the DB Engine into a new named instance even if I just select Reporting Services as the only Feature to install).

Page 31 of The White Paper, "SQL 2008 Failover Clustering" notes, "SQL Server 2008 does not support adding features to an existing failover cluster instance, so SSAS cannot be added to an existing instance..."  Does the same apply to SSRS?

I'm wondering if the only way to get SSRS installed is to uninstall the DB engine, re-install everything, to include SSRS, and restore the existing DB's from backup.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

mddba

--
27 Oct 2010 01:45 PM
A co-worker answered this question. SSRS, since it's not clustered, needs to be installed on each node. The trick is, to select install and not add features, and when prompted, install SSRS with a named instance. Post install, configure SSRS for a scale-out deployment per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...56453.aspx

thanks to all who viewed.

Acceptable Use Policy
---